--- Begin Message ---

"NORAD did not have a helicopter following AA77".

That just shows NORAD is irrelevent and a distraction
in this discussion.

There was a helicopter following AA77, and NORAD
didn't know about it, so who invited NORAD to say
anything about the helicopter, Andrews TRACON
aliased as "FAA controlling domestic skies", and
Andrews military radar and two fighter squadrons,
and non-NORAD decentralized tasking of Andrews
to respond to anomalies in or near restricted air
space, and for that matter the FORMAL policy for
non-military "FAA" i.e. non-Andrews TRACONs
as far as informing Andrews or designated bases
when anomalies become apparent.

NORAD, butt out. NORAD is a distraction. Saying
"FAA control" instead of TRACON is misleading, since
Andrews has a TRACON and is part of the unified
Potomac TRACON airspace, alias "FAA control".
Andrews has done "FAA" flight control for Reagan
National when National's equipment failed.

-Bob

Dan Russell wrote:

 > over dinner this evening a friend challenged me re: the timeline of
> American Airlines flight 77 (the one that hit the pentagon). I've been
> checking various mainstream news sources and have been surprised to
> find that they tend to start their timelines with the first hit on the
> WTC, not with the actual highjackings.

that's Norad's timeline, at
http://www.spacecom.af.mil/norad/presrelNORADTimelines.htm

http://www.ict.org.il/articles/articledet.cfm?articleid=381
"American Flight 77 left Dulles International Airport at 8:10. Its planned
route would take it over northern Virginia and West Virginia, towards Los
Angeles International. Just after turning south and crossing the
Ohio-Kentucky border, the plane's transponder (which makes it more visible
and identifiable on radar, as well as reporting its altitude to controllers)
was turned off; so its exact flight path is not known. At 9:40 AM, the plane
crashed into the ground next to the west side of the Pentagon."

but the FAA's awareness began with the actual hijackings - I assume that
means when the transponder was turned off - can the FAA's civil radar skin
paint?  the above comment seems to say it can't.  Also, what coordination
does the FAA have with its Kentucky eyes and the national system?  Bob and I
have gone back and forth about this, and the
http://emperors-clothes.com/indict/indict-1.htm article outlines what
firepower was actually available at Andrews.  I asked Norad Pulbic Affairs:
EDWARD W. THOMAS, JR., Major, USAF
Chief of National Affairs
US Space Command Public Affairs
tele: (719) 554-2608 DSN: 692-2608
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Given the availability of military as well as civilian-type Radar Approach
Control systems at Andrews - that is, the availability of the 121st Fighter
Squadron (FS-121) of the 113th Fighter Wing (FW-113), equipped with F-16
fighters; and the 321st Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA-321) of the
49th Marine Air Group, Detachment A (MAG-49 Det-A), equipped with F/A-18
fighters - the availability of E-2's, and other long-range aerial vision -
why wasn't Flt 77seen coming from a long way off?"

He gave me boilerplate about Norad's mission, not untrue, and referred me to
Public Affairs at Andrews: 301-981-6250, and the FAA's Ms Allison Dukat at
202-267-8674:

Your question is a reasonable one, however it presupposes that NORAD or
another military agency had the mission of either controlling US airspace,
or at a minimum, looking inward and monitoring US airspace.  In a normal
peacetime environment, that mission falls squarely on the FAA.  NORAD's
mission prior to 11 Sep was to look outward for any space or air-breathing
airborne threat.  This includes cruise missiles, strategic bombers, ICBMs,
or even a hijacked airliner heading towards North American airspace.  While
NORAD share's many radar pictures with the FAA, NORAD's primary radar
capability has been focused outward from our borders.  Since 11 Sep, our
mission has expanded to include response to domestic air threats. The FAA,
however, remains the primary agency for controlling and monitoring US Air
Space.
Our interface and communication with the FAA has increased significantly to
ensure the most expeditious response by NORAD to any potential air threat
that is identified by the FAA.  Changes include a manned 24-hour hotline
with the FAA/ multiple NORAD liaisons assigned to the FAA and more FAA
liaisons assigned to NORAD.

"Wouldn't the lack of a transponder beacon have painted that plane for an
E-2, or for some of Andrews' other military radar equipment?"

The military does have the capability to "skin paint" aircraft using
specific radar.  However, the military does not actively monitor US domestic
air traffic regardless of whether the aircraft are squawking or not.

I again asked "But Andrews is tasked with DC protection - wouldn't Andrews
have automatically fielded/utilized whatever radar eyes it had, given the
clear possibility of military threat to DC?  Andrews had 40 minutes warning.
Wouldn't the first crashes at the WTC have alerted Andrews, or some other
facility, to begin military monitoring of US airspace asap - given that a
domestic military threat was clearly established? "

I was again referred to Andrews pulbic affairs - which, I guess, will return
my call after Christmas, if ever.

"Also, what was a helicopter doing following Flt 77 in?  If a chopper could
get to it, why not a fighter?"

NORAD did not have a helicopter following Flight 77. (end)

The issue of FAA coordination with Norad and Andrews is not a phony one -
there's been a lot of confusion and technical failure over  the past few
years - quite a few planes have crashed into or overflown the White House
without being stopped.  This is by no means an historically sharp system.

What was looking at flt 77 when it was over KY - that is, what will the FAA
will tell me was looking - and what was the coordination of that with
Norad - and Andrews?  Given all that hardware and military radar at Andrews,
as well as a redundant civilian-type Radar Approach Control system, with,
apparently, a 50-mile radius of vision, the lack of response does indeed
seem implausible - on the other hand, there is this history of failed
reliance on the bureaucratic FAA - replete with bitter turf wars, union
fights and antiquated equipment - and the reality that the system has often
been caught completely unprepared.    The situation was unique, and there
are no standing orders to blow hijacked planes out of the sky - but there
were standing orders to protect DC airspace.....

Dan