http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/sartre/WRACK/id38.html

2002 - The Year of the RADICAL

With the passage of time, every day matters. The direction of events and the ultimate consequences of the pivotal transformation in America, cannot be clearer. Yes, the War on Terror, is changing the Nation more than the horror of those eight Clinton years. The prime fault lies not with the Bush administration, but rests with the American People. That is not to exclude the President or his appointees from allowing this frightful trend to take hold. So what is this threat to civilization and the national heritage? Well, it should be obvious, it is called Patriotism.

Now before you lynch the messenger, consider the nature of National Loyalty. We are told that Patriotism is love for one's country, which is valid. But in practice, the current version of devotion to country, is defined as blind faith and obedience to government policies. We are continuously told that at no other time has the American public been so united. But the reality is, never have they been more wrong. Wrong to support a false and destructive policy to police the world, American style.

Conservatives have emerged as the buffoons that the New York Times paints them. The laws of probability work in this case, for it is proven that the Left is seldom correct, on anything; out of conviction. The champion flag wavers of the Right, have duped themselves into believing that their government has been wronged, and that their own identity is inexorably identical with the State. This mistaken conclusion is the source of a far worse future terror.

Total denial that destructive government policies play any part or is the basis of hatred for America, permeates the lunacy that passes for nationalism. The rush to voluntarily surrender natural rights, forfeit our birth heritage and demands for the empowerment of greater authoritative government, is the end result of this public madness.

Into this asylum of hysteria, the radical must apply his trade. There is no time left for the luxury of rational persuasion, for the populace has demonstrated their rejection of prudent balance and critical deliberation. The latest proof of this assessment comes out of the mouth of Jim Robinson, the majordomo of Free Republic forum. Read and heed, he is speaking for many of your community:

"Lots of grumbling lately about deleted posts. Well, my friends, the simple truth is the game has changed. We are now at war. We have been attacked by a vicious cold-blooded force of international terrorists who want to destroy our nation, our freedom and our way of life. There is no doubt about this. Knowing this, I am alarmed to read some of the stuff that has been posted to FR in the last few days. This is not the time to raise doubts about our leaders. This is not the time to raise conspiracy theories. This is not the time to second guess our intelligence agencies. This is war. This is survival of our way of life. We must unite behind our Commander-in-chief and do all we possibly can to support him and our war efforts. We do not have a choice in this matter."

Do you agree with Mr Robinson? If you do, I trust that you will be front and center at your local book burning feast! When people ask how could the German people allow Hitler to come to power, the evidence is staring you in your face. The people demanded him . . . Now the 'so called' conservatives discard their principles of limited government and marches in lock step to a fascist craving for supporting the nation, while using the excuse of  defending the country.

Folks, the enemy is us! Look to your left and to your right, both sides have deluded themselves into summoning a State, ruled by tyrants. Bush may be benign and his administration may well act with proper restraint, but the stage is set for the next madman that will outpace the national disgrace of the Clinton era. Is this the legacy that you want in the name of being patriotic?

America was founded by radicals. The wisdom of Henry David Thoreau illustrates, when asked by Emerson, "Why are you in jail?" Thoreau replied: "My friends, why are you out there?" From his most famous treatise, Civil Disobedience: "Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also in prison". The question that demands an answer before us, is: why are we willing to support policies that will result in unjust government?

The 'PC' patriot castigates those who oppose the systemic concentration of centralized conformity, that accepts government despotism, as a necessary outcome of fighting a war. The sheer idiocy of maintaining that we have a duty to enslave ourselves because the State is protecting the country, defies logic and common sense.

The only duty we have is to resist such preposterous insanity. Fidelity is ours, when we accept the civic responsibility to protect the Nation from the forces that are determined to destroy the very nature of the country. Our obligation is to become a radical. A radical in defense of the traditional principles that are under assault from within. Failing to understand the distinction between bringing criminals to justice and allowing, if not demanding, the accession of an imperial dictatorship, would be fatal.

Attitudes like Mr Robinson, pave the way to a republic, no longer free. Lip service tolerance adherence, that really attacks genuine dissent, does not foster righteous allegiance to country. Your challenge is to become your own radical for the coming year. The choice is simple, be a bunk mate of Thoreau or become a jailer, alongside Robinson. Political prisoners abound, while many don't even know they are one themselves. What will it be for you? 2002 is the year that will demand that you make a choice. You can be a true Patriot, by becoming a Doctor of Radical politics. Our country is ill and needs some strong constitutional relief. You have within yourselves the medicine of our heritage, now do you have the will to use it?

SARTRE - January 3, 2001