-Caveat Lector-

BF>Granted, I have studied comparative religion enough to understand that, yes,
Christianity has HISTORICALLY been more focused on this issue than Judaism.  I also
understand the interplay between Zorasterian thought and Christian thought on this
issue.  I also understand the monotheistic nature of Jewish thought, and how it
frowns on dualism.
    However, please remember that the New Testament does not really speak of
"worshippers" of Satan in a direct sense either.  Come to think of it, the New
Testament does not speak of inverted pentragrams, et al.  Most of these are cultural
traditions within Christendom from afterwards, acknowledged by Jewish and Muslim
authorities.  Yes, Jewish authorities do not DWELL on them.  That does not mean that
the existence of Satanism is not acknowledged.  It is acknowledged by Rabbinical
authorities.  "Path of the Righteous Gentile", written by an Orthodox Rabbi, makes
mention of Satanic music.  The Book of Job makes mention of Satan.  Nor does
Buddhism disagree that there is a pull back in to spiritual illusion. Yes, again we
have a difference in philosophy and emphasis between religions, but not a
disagreement about a phenomenon.
    Having said all of this, it gets off the point.  You are welcome to label
Satanism "Christian", or anything you want.  It is, however, a reality.  One ignores
it at one's peril.  Again, I need to get back to the main point, and I will leave
the Judaism-Christianity issue to you folks.  The main point is that this symbol is
there, and I believe that it should not be.  Even if we went along with those who
say it is not Satanic, a position I doubt highly, then why should it be hidden and
never acknowledged?  The Washington Monument obelisk is public.  The other "hidden
architecture" dwelt on by Ovason is largely acknowledged by the American public, and
apparently blessed by those among the Protestant clergy who talk about a "Christian
nation".  The pentagram is kept secret, and never acknoweldged.  I do not believe
that we should have symbols, which do have an effect, secret and hidden like that.
The fact that I consider it Satanic makes it even more disconcerting to me.
    Why not replace it with the Star of David, along with some acknowledgement of
the Seven Noachide Laws?  The first Bush Administration upheld the Seven Noachide
Laws as fundamental to American civilization.  I am certainly not a G. H. W. Bush
fan, but that is beside the point.  They were right to do this, in my view, as much
as I have First Amendment qualms with public religion.  The Star of David would be a
fine symbol, and also symmetrical, not able to be inverted.  It is non-dual in this
regard.
    I do not mean to "punk out", but I am busy and did not expect this much
traffic.  Therefore if I do not respond to every e-mail I will at least endeaver to
read them and take note of them.  To recap, the differences between religions in any
understanding of evil are more cultural and philosophical than substantive.  They
are often innane nitpicking.  The actual reality is acknowledged by all.  If we want
to call something an "evil inclination", then go ahead.  A rose by another name...I
will leave this one to the list.  I will debate the main point, should we have a
symbol like this above the White House where it can influence government away from
the values most Americans have traditionally held dear?  Do symbols have power?  Am
I reading a symbol where there is none?  No one has claimed that so far.  Did the
Catholic Church simply invent this whole thing to repress science and freedom, as
has been alleged by some?   I think that there has been the role of authoritarian
religion, but I also think that just as there is a real "good inclination" with
power, so there is an "evil inclination" with its own power and very real symbols.
I tend to leave the Freemasons out of this because to some extent Rome will dwell on
them while ignoring its own incorporation of Roman religion.
    These issues are more important than the standard defenses from the educated
employed against seeing reality.  Jews say I am Christian, Nazis say I am Jewish.
Debate this all you want.  Do we really want to wait for another school shooting
before helping to cleanse this land from evil?  Are abstractions really worth
another child's life?  Let us stay on the point.
    MHO
    Bates