-Caveat Lector-

thew wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-
>
> > From: Man on the Run <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 23:00:36 -0800
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: [CTRL] Please, please begin a campaign
> >

> > BF>My response.  Well, the map is facing north.  Thus I fail to see the logic
> > of
> > turning it around.  If you are right, I need a little better than "turn the
> > map
> > around".  Why turn the map around?  If there is some logical reason, I will
> > listen.
> > If you simply do not want to face the truth, then I really do not know what to
> > say.
>
> I don't know the intent - I cannot assume either direction for the star.
>
> An anecdote, although I know argument by analogy is dangerous and flawed, it
> may illustrate what I'm trying to say.
>
> I have spent a fair amount of time in Amsterdam. The natural way to think
> about the layout of that city (the central city district anyway) is as
> emanating out from  the centraal station Railway depot - with canals loops
> around that point in a horseshoe pattern. SO in my mind's map centraal
> station is at the bottom center, and I figure my directions from there.
> However any map I look at  has centraal station at the top, because it is
> north - so I have to constantly realign my minds map and the paper map.....
>
> does that make sense so far?

BF>If you are saying that it is possible I am reading this wrong, I can only say
that there are two factors on my side.
    A)The North direction
    B)The fact that the star is "above" the White House from the perspective of the
capital mall.
    Both of these suggest very strongly that I am reading the map right.

> so maybe, just maybe, for the layout of Washington, they were consulting an
> internal map, based on the natural flow of the city, rather than on where
> north was... looking out from these outer points towards the whitehouse they
> though crowned the star.........
>
> see..?

BF>I do not see that as logical.  I must therefore proceed from what I consider
logical, unless you can cite precedent as to whether a map should be read like this.

> [...]
> > therefore it has no real meaning in this context.  Do you mean the Puritians
> > and
> > Pilgrims?  Quakers?  Jewish immigrants?  Russian Orthodox immigrants?
> > Rosicrucian
> > lodges?  Thugee?  Is it unfair that Buddhism, Judaism, and Hinduism are
> > mentioned
> > whenever American pluralism is discussed but Thugee religious practiced is
> > condemned?  Is this not un-American?  (Sarcasm, laughter)
>
> The point of the American experiment was that your rights and access are not
> dependant on your religion, and more importantly the laws and rules of the
> state are not determined by, or advancing any religion in particular.  SO
> when you suggest that we look to "god" as king, I see that as an attack on
> the very heart of what America is supposed to about - rational rule, by
> everyday people - not a rule of god or a rule of kings.
>
> It is ok to condemn ANY religious practice, as an individual - but it is not
> ok for that condemnation (or glorification) becomes ratified as law.

BF>The inverted pentagram IS enshrined in to federal law, via the design of D.C.

> >.  Alright, your point is that the American
> > Experiment contained a degree of secularism once unheard of.  Granted.
> > If so, and I were to agree to an implied claim of no public religious
> > philosophy, I would also have to deny any and all public religious symbols.
> > If all
> > government religious symbols were removed from all parts of the United States
> > excepting Native Reservations, along with Puerto Rico and Guam, and if this is
> > held
> > rigorously, let us say that I were to agree to this as a consistent
> > interpretation
> > of the First Amendment, then the inverted pentagram would have to go.  It is
> > that
> > simple.  All religious symbols would mean all religious symbols.  It would
> > mean
> > obelisks, Crosses and Stars of David on military cemetaries, Native symbols
> > everywhere but on Reservations, Catholic missions, and pyramids.  It would be
> > Cromwell multiplied by a thousand.  Life would be incredibly boring.  The
> > inverted
> > pentagram would also have to go.  It is that simple.  If I am un-American for
> > not
> > going along with such a totalistic (and inherently totalitarian)
> > interpretation of
> > the Constitution, then so be it.  I want these symbols preserved as part of
> > our
> > cultural heritage, and would not want a Noachide theocracy removing them as I
> > do not
> > believe this is appropriate before the coming of the Messiah.
>
> The above only applies on Govt. property. Personal and/or private displays
> are fine.

BF>Exactly my point.  The streets of D.C. are public property.  Hence the separation
of church and state argument, if we are to be absolutist about it, works in my own
favor.

> (p.s. - you don't think Jesus was the messiah?)

BF>I covered this issue.  I believe in the Revelation of the Prophets of the Bible.
Any Revelation after that need have more proof than I feel has been afforded.  The
Trinity appears to be of Roman origin.  However, I respect Christians and have
learned much from them.
    All the best,
    Bates