-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

ARTICLE 06 - Editor's Note: Feedback Wanted!

As announced last week, DefenseWatch has expanded the reader Feedback section
of DefenseWatch to a separate web page accessible through SFTT.org. The new
section is designed to provide readers who want to add their contribution to
an issue to submit letters or commentary articles. You can find the SFTT
Feedback window on the right-hand column of the SFTT home page.

Our guidelines are simple and few: Feedback articles can be as brief as
several paragraphs or as long as 1,000 words. When submitting a response to a
particular article or commentary, please mention the article by headline and
date. We allow pen names but require the sender's actual name and contact
telephone number for verification purposes. SFTT reserves the right to edit
articles, or refuse publication of any submission for libel or inappropriate
language.

Send your comments to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Table of Contents

ARTICLE 07 - Medal of Honor Recipient - Poynter, James I., Sgt. USMC

Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Company A, 1st
Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division (Rein.).

Place and date: Near Sudong, Korea, 4 November 1950.

Entered service at: Downey, Calif. Born: 1 December 1916, Bloomington, Ill.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life
above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a squad leader in a rifle
platoon of Company A, in action against enemy aggressor forces during the
defense of Hill 532, south of Sudong, Korea. When a vastly outnumbering,
well-concealed hostile force launched a sudden, vicious counterattack against
his platoon's hasty defensive position, Sgt. Poynter displayed superb skill
and courage in leading his squad and directing its fire against the onrushing
enemy.

With his ranks critically depleted by casualties and he himself critically
wounded as the onslaught gained momentum and the hostile force surrounded his
position, he seized his bayonet and engaged in bitter hand-to-hand combat as
the breakthrough continued.

Observing three machine guns closing in at a distance of 25 yards, he dashed
from his position and, grasping hand grenades from fallen Marines as he ran,
charged the emplacements in rapid succession, killing the crews of two and
putting the other out of action before he fell, mortally wounded.

By his self-sacrificing and valiant conduct, Sgt. Poynter inspired the
remaining members of his squad to heroic endeavor in bearing down upon and
repelling the disorganized enemy, thereby enabling the platoon to move out of
the trap to a more favorable tactical position. His indomitable fighting
spirit, fortitude, and great personal valor maintained in the face of
overwhelming odds sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval
Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Editor's Note: If you know of any MOH recipient who is hospitalized or has
passed away recently, please email DefenseWatch MOH Editor Jim H. at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Table of Contents

EDITOR'S NOTE: Your Support is Important!

Footnote: The ultimate success in reviving and expanding SFTT depends on
everyone. We need your financial contributions to continue our operation.
While any amount is welcome, we suggest a $30 annual contribution from each
member will enable us to succeed.
The IRS recognizes SFTT as a 501(c)3 Non-Profit Educational Foundation (IRS
EIN 31-1592564).

Donations are tax deductible. Send us some moral support and encouragement to
help in the struggle to improve combat readiness. Every little contribution
helps. Mail your checks to:

Soldiers For The Truth Foundation
P.O. Box 11179
Greenwich CT 06831