Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

>From farmboy to Marine drill instructor
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20022715357
Story by Cpl. Christopher A. Raper

MCRD SAN DIEGO, Calif.(February 8, 2002) -- Growing up on a farm is tough.
The day begins with the rooster's crow. Farmers step outside as the sun
breaks the horizon's edge. There is work to be done and no time to waste.

That was the early life of Sgt. Daniel L. Wyatt.

Raised on a little farm in Grand Forks, N.D., Wyatt learned to love the
rustic side of life. His parents provided the mortar and brick to pave the
road to Wyatt's character.

"My parents were the foundation of my character," said Wyatt. "They represent
the building blocks that made me who I am."

Wyatt built a love for the fast paced, thrill-seeking adventure that the
rodeo offers at a very young age. At age 15, he was riding the backs of
bucking bulls.

Wyatt currently rides in the Professional Rodeo Cowboy Association, the
International Professional Rodeo Association, the Professional Armed Forces
Rodeo Association and the Military Bull Riders Association.

In the IPRA 2001, Wyatt finished second in the Western region and was the
bareback rookie of the year for the Western region.

In the PAFRA 2001, Wyatt won the world title in the saddle bronc, the
bareback and the steer wrestling competitions as well as Rookie of the Year
in saddle bronc and steer wrestling. He also won the "World Champion All
Around Cowboy" award.

"I started going to rodeos when I was very young," said Wyatt. "I do it
because I love it. The personal satisfaction you get comes whether you win,
lose or get bucked off. It's all about having fun and doing what you enjoy."

Wyatt's love of the cowboy way is shown when he is with his two horses, Rebel
and Mac. Wyatt spends the majority of his off time in the luxurious 2200-acre
spread on the Flying Hooves Riding Club trails at Miramar Stables.

"Hanging out at the Miramar Stables is a great place to spend my day," said
Wyatt. "I get to spend the day riding my horses and doing what I like. The
comfortable, homey atmosphere and excellent facilities provide me with the
necessities required to care for my ponies."

In July, Wyatt plans to accomplish a lifelong dream of his accompanied by his
two horses.

Traveling from the Canadian border at Pembina, N.D., Wyatt plans to ride
south all the way to the Mexican border right here in San Diego with just
himself, the two horses and the open road.

Through the plains of North Dakota, over the Rocky Mountains and into the
endless desert, Wyatt plans to ride horseback and sleep under the stars
traveling over the Wild West just like they did in the good ol' days.

"This is the only time I will ever get a chance to do this," said Wyatt. "It
is a life-long dream of mine. I can't get a better opportunity.

"One of my idols would be the 1976 Western bareback champion and country
singer, Chris Ledoux. He sings nothing but cowboy and rodeo songs," said
Wyatt. "He tells about what it is like being on the road chasing your dreams.
He tells the reality of the situation and allows you to relate to what he is
singing about."

In April 1995, Wyatt began a Marine Corps career.

Graduating as the honorman from Platoon 2117, Company H, Wyatt was promoted
meritoriously to private first class.

After his 10 days of boot leave, Wyatt headed to Camp Pendleton to begin
School of Infantry. He completed SOI as the guide and was meritoriously
promoted again to lance corporal.

"I had all the values (of honor, courage and commitment) before I joined the
Marine Corps," said Wyatt. "I took charge and did what I thought was right
and needed to be done during recruit training and SOI."

Wyatt then joined up with the Marines of First Battalion, Seventh Marines. "I
loved every minute of it," commented Wyatt.

After spending nine months with 1/7, Wyatt headed to sniper school.

The five phases lasted for 10 weeks. There was a stalking phase, shooting
phase, planning phase, hell week and field week.

"Sniper school is the hardest school that I have ever been to," said Wyatt.
"Because of the mixture of academics and practical applications, you had to
know the information and be able to apply it when needed. It is a school like
no other. You have to be able to make yourself invisible to the naked eye.
You also have to actually plan a mission from start to finish and then carry
it out to completion."

In January 1998, Wyatt headed to Ranger School. During the school he
rapelled, rock climbed, patrolled, participated in land navigation, and
studied airborne operations and boat raids.

"I was one of 279 people to begin the Ranger School in my class from four
different services and three different countries. There were 16 Marines to
begin the class," said Wyatt. "Out of the 279 students to begin, 36 graduated
from the class."

Wyatt is currently a drill instructor attached to Receiving Company, Recruit
Training Regiment.

In the future, Wyatt sees himself competing in Pro Rodeo and owning his own
construction company.

Write to same address to be off lists!