-Caveat Lector-

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/306DDE08D41FEA9285256B58004A3

3BA?opendocument

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

PSU TRADET teaches OTH course
Submitted by: MCB Camp Lejeune
Story Identification Number: 20022683029
Story by Cpl. Zachary A. Crawford

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.(January 18, 2002) -- When most people think of the Coast
Guard, they think about small boats with orange and white stripes bearing men
and women on them who look like gas station attendants. But, contrary to
popular belief, the Coast Guardsmen at Port Security Unit Training Detachment
at Courthouse Bay here prove that theory to be not only false, but way off
its buoy marker.

The Coast Guardsmen here wear camouflage utilities just like their Marine
counterparts, and are here to provide a unique training environment for the
rest of the Coast Guard much like the Special Operations Training Group does
for the Marine Corps.

Their recent course, an Over The Horizon course, teaches the Coast Guardsmen
from various units around the country how to use Coast Guard 'fast movers' in
order to catch certain high-speed suspects during a chase. But one Coastie
says there is more to it than that.

"With law enforcement being one of the Coast Guard's main missions, this
course emphasizes the use of faster boats and new tactics to accomplish their
mission," said Petty Officer 1st Class William Pardington, boatswain's mate
and lead coxswain instructor for the OTH course. "It's our job here during
this course to teach the students how to work together using two different
fast-moving boats.
Ideally, we want all of the students to leave the course knowing how to work
with other crews that have had the same training. For instance, if there are
two different crews from two different cutters(Coast Guard ships), they
should have the same training they need to work hand-in-hand to pursue a
suspect and jointly accomplish a mission. Right now, most of our ships have
at least one of these fast boats attached to it and a crew to operate it, so
it's imperative that the crews of those boats have knowledge of the same
tactics so they can work in pairs."

Another part of the OTH course consists of training by the gunner's mates
from the TRADET on the use of non-lethal weapons while in pursuit of a
subject.

"In the Non-Lethal Division of the TRADET, we are in charge of making sure
that these law enforcement boarding teams we're teaching know how to use the
weapons they have available to them while training with us here," said Chief
Petty Officer Patrick M. Hood, gunner's mate and Non-Lethal Division Petty
officer-in-charge. "During this course, we are teaching these teams the
non-lethal application of the Remington 870 modified shotgun along with other
non-lethal tactics. It just gives them more tools to use during boardings and
drug interdictions while on the water."

The students also believe they have learned some very valuable information
while participating in the course.

"One of the most important things I've realized is that there are so many
times that we are not able to catch a certain boat because its too fast,"
said Petty Officer 1st Class Phillip Jensen, gunner's mate, United States
Coast Guard Cutter Venturous, St. Petersburg, Fla. "But now that we have had
more training on underway non lethal tactics and had the chance to use the
Coast Guard's faster boats, I feel more comfortable performing chases at high
speed and believe we now have a better chance at catching a suspect. We don't
really get the chance to drive like this very much, but the OTH course here
at Camp Lejeune has given us that opportunity."

The instructors also commented on the course's curriculum.
"This is the first aggressive Coast Guard boat course that I know of," said
Pardington. "And the course is only getting better and more aggressive."

Write to same address to be off lists!