Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

OPERATION: ENDURING FREEDOM
GOP senator questions war results
Bunning blasts Gen. Franks for letting
al-Qaida leaders flee

1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Paul Sperry
© 2002 WorldNetDaily.com

WASHINGTON – Just moments after Gen. Tommy Franks bragged about prosecuting
the most accurate war in U.S. history, a Republican senator blasted him for
letting Osama bin Laden and other al-Qaida leaders escape from Afghanistan.

The heated exchange, largely ignored by the mainstream media, took place Feb.
7 during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing that featured a lot of
back-patting over the Pentagon's accomplishments so far in the war on terror.

But Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Ky., punctured the hype with a sharp dose of reality.

"If our mission was to seek out and destroy the Taliban and al-Qaida," he
grilled Franks, "why were so many able to flee Afghanistan?"

Bunning noted that only a small number – some 500 – of the thousands of
terrorists are in custody at U.S. bases in Afghanistan and Cuba. Many,
including leaders Osama bin Laden and Mullah Mohammed Omar, have escaped, and
are "regrouping and preparing to launch additional attacks on the United
States," he said.

"I'm not pleased, and I don't think any Americans are pleased, that we
haven't done a better job on al-Qaida," Bunning scolded Franks, who's running
the war as commander in chief of U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla.

His dressing-down came just moments after Franks appeared very pleased with
himself and the administration's accomplishments.

"One of the obvious characteristics of this campaign [in Afghanistan] has
been the accuracy that I described – 18,000-plus weapons having been
delivered, 10,000 of those precision munitions," Franks said. "By far and
away the greatest application of precision munitions in the history of our
country at any point at any place at any time."

Of course, they weren't precise enough to hit their primary targets – bin
Laden and Omar and most of their top henchmen, who are still at large and a
threat to America.

"I think we're half-way there," Bunning groused, to which Franks had to
agree.

"I wouldn't argue with you a bit," the general said.

Write to same address to be off lists!