WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Love and Marriage ... and Government Counseling

Sunday, February 17, 2002
By Catherine Donaldson-Evans

WASHINGTON — Those who think they're not the marrying type may be persuaded
otherwise once they attend a Bush administration program designed to promote
love and marriage between low-income couples.

The brainchild of marriage czar Wade Horn, a marriage and fatherhood advocate
who was appointed assistant secretary for the Administration for Children and
Families at the Health and Human Services Department, the proposal would give
local governments money from failing welfare programs to educate low-income
parents about marriage skills and the benefits of two-parent households.

The idea has already drawn ire from groups like the Cato Institute and the
National Organization for Women.

"Marriage is one of the most intimate associations in our lives, and the
government should stay out of it," said David Boaz, executive vice president
of Cato. "Marriage has lasted for thousands of years without a federal
program to encourage it."

Supporters say the program isn't a matter of government-arranged marriages;
it's a program to help couples develop the foundations for a healthy marriage.

"Most of the people who find it controversial don't know what it is," said
David Blankenhorn, president of the Institute for American Values. "We're
providing some good services to people who choose to take advantage of them.
It's not imposing anything on anyone, and they are not taking any services
away from single parents."

The plan proposes using $100 million already appropriated to the Temporary
Assistance for Needy Families program that was designed by Congress to
encourage states to reduce unmarried birth rates, an initiative that has seen
few tangible results.

Instead, money from the program will be given to state and local governments
to set up voluntary services — like pre-marital counseling, and marriage and
relationship education workshops — for couples in poor communities who want
to say "I do."

"All the evidence we have tells us there's a very strong link between the
weakening of marriage and the growing number of children in poverty,"
Blankenhorn said. "Society has a stake in stable marriages."

But NOW President Kim Gandy said the stakes might be too high if the federal
government winds up funding unhealthy or violent marriages or penalizing
states that aren't successful in increasing marriage rates.

"For individual people, marriage may or may not be the right choice,
especially if the person is an abuser," Gandy told Fox News. "To say to these
women, where the father of their children has abandoned them or abused them,
'You've got to track him down and marry him or your check is going to be
reduced,' that's terrible," she said.

"No one argues that bad relationships are good," Blankenhorn said, and
dysfunctional couples are not the target of the program.

According to Blankenhorn, about half of all low-income mothers who seek
public assistance are living with the father at the time the child is born,
and many say they're in love and are considering getting married — but don't
wind up tying the knot.

Even with good intentions, some aren't convinced that a government-sponsored
marriage plan will actually lower child-poverty rates and strengthen
families. Such services already exist in a number of local communities, in
states such as Oklahoma and California, but there are not definitive,
widespread statistics that show they're getting results.

"I'm skeptical that the kinds of programs we have right now are going to make
much difference. But I would not argue against some experimental efforts,"
said Brookings Institution senior fellow Isabel Sawhill.

Early indications are that the plan will be approved, but even Blankenhorn
admits he's not sure how successful it will be.

"We don't have solid evidence that these programs will achieve a goal,"
Blankenhorn said. "It might not work. But this particular program seems
modest and well designed. I think we should give it a try."

Write to same address to be off lists!