-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

First Kurt Cobain, now this guy. Is this going to become a pattern, Seattle creating
dead rock stars?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Enjoy new investment freedom!

Get the tools you need to successfully manage your portfolio
from Harrisdirect.  Start with award-winning research.  Then
add access to round-the-clock customer service from
Series-7 trained representatives.  Open an account today and
receive a $100 credit!

http://www.harrisdirect.com/b4.htm?OINYT100C

Layne Staley, Alice in Chains' Singer, Dies at 34

April 21, 2002

By JON PARELES

Layne Staley, the lead singer of the pioneering grunge band
Alice in Chains, was found dead on Friday at his home in
Seattle. He was 34 years old.

Alice in Chains was one of the first grunge bands to gain
national attention. Beginning with its 1990 EP, "We Die
Young," the group sang bleak visions of death, addiction
and despair, set to grinding minor-key guitar riffs. Most
of the band's material was written by its guitarist, Jerry
Cantrell, though Mr. Staley wrote lyrics for many of its
songs, including the band's first hit, "Man in the Box,"
with the chorus: "Feed my eyes, can you sew them
shut?/Jesus Christ, deny your maker."

On the band's second album, "Dirt" in 1992, Mr. Staley sang
directly about heroin addiction in songs like "God Smack"
and "Junkman," with its chorus, "What's my drug of
choice/Well, what have you got?"

Duane Fish, a spokesman for the Seattle Police Department,
said that when the police were called on Friday to check on
Mr. Staley, officers forcibly entered his apartment near
the University of Washington campus after there was no
answer to a knock on the door.

Mr. Staley was found dead on a couch with "obvious signs of
drug use," Mr. Fish said, including heroin needles and
other paraphernalia. The King County medical examiner has
not determined the cause of death, but said yesterday that
Mr. Staley had been dead for several days. Mr. Fish said,
"We have determined it was either drug use or natural
causes. There were no signs of foul play, according to our
investigators."

Mr. Staley was born in Kirkland, Wash., and started playing
drums when he was 12 years old, inspired by a Black Sabbath
album from his parents' record collection. A few years
later, he decided to become a singer instead, and traded
his drum kit for a microphone.

He met Mr. Cantrell at a party, and formed Alice in Chains
with him in 1987. The group quickly turned from playing
glam-metal to an early variety of grunge, and in 1989, it
was signed to Columbia Records, which released the EP "We
Die Young" and the band's first album, "Facelift," in 1990.

The group appeared as a bar band in the Cameron Crowe movie
"Singles," and toured nationally as "Facelift" went on to
sell two million copies. A second EP, "Sap," was released
in 1991, followed in 1992 by "Dirt," which has sold four
million copies. Alice in Chains was a headliner on the 1993
Lollapalooza tour, and released its third EP, "Jar of
Flies," in 1994.

By then, Mr. Staley was struggling with heroin addiction,
and on the verge of a 1994 summer tour, the band broke up
for six months. Mr. Staley sang on a side project, Mad
Season, with Mike McCready, a guitarist in Pearl Jam. Alice
in Chains reunited in 1995 to make an album, entitled
"Alice in Chains," which sold two million copies.

But in a 1996 interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Mr.
Staley was covered with needle marks, and spoke obliquely
about drug use.

"I wrote about drugs, and I didn't think I was being unsafe
or careless by writing about them," Mr. Staley said. "I
didn't want fans to think heroin was cool. But then I've
had fans come up to me and give me the thumbs up, telling
me they're high. That's exactly what I didn't want to
happen."

Alice in Chains taped an episode of "MTV Unplugged" in
1996; the subsequent album sold one million copies. As the
1990's ended, Columbia released more of the band's
material: a boxed set, a live album and a greatest-hits
collection. But Mr. Staley had dropped out of sight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/21/obituaries/21STAL.html?ex=1020386061&ei=1&en=8ac5fe28b3963fcd

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company