-Caveat Lector-

http://reese.king-online.com/Reese_20020506/index.php

May 6th, 2002

 Mr. Bush's Albatross

President George Bush has made another bad deal with Israeli
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. In exchange for lifting the restrictions
on Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat, Mr. Bush has agreed
to back Israel in blocking a United Nations investigation of the
Jenin refugee camp killings.

       Way to go, Mr. Prez. In exchange for Israel doing what it
should have done anyway, you agreed to block an investigation of a
possible war crime. That makes you look real good in the eyes of the
world. In case you haven't noticed, your pal Sharon has become a fat
albatross around your neck.

       I suppose I should be pleased since, for humanitarian
reasons, I'm opposed to Mr. Bush's plan to attack Iraq. As long as he
lugs around Sharon and continues his outrageously unfair policy
toward the Palestinians, he will get zip cooperation from Arab
countries for his little imperial war against Baghdad.

       Mr. Bush's first mistake was allowing Sharon to humiliate him
in front of the world. It was Mr. Bush's choice to use the imperative
when he ordered the Israelis to cease their invasion of the West
Bank. Well, when the president of the United States issues an order
on global television, he'd darn well better make sure it is obeyed.
For two days, Sharon didn't even acknowledge Bush's existence, much
less do what he was told.

       A stronger president, say a Harry Truman or a Dwight
Eisenhower, would have gotten Sharon on the telephone and
said: "Listen, if there is any doubt in your mind as to which of us
is the big kahuna, it's me. Get those troops out of the West Bank now
or see how you like living without $3 billion in American aid. If
necessary, I'll freeze every asset the Israeli government has in the
United States and suggest a U.N.-sponsored economic embargo.

       "And, Mr. Sharon, if you think your Israeli lobby can protect
you, you'd better check with them and ask them how they'd like it if
the president of the United States goes on national television and
says it is time for the American people to decide which country is
owed their loyalty - the United States or Israel."

       Alas, Mr. Bush is only a batboy in the Truman-Eisenhower
League.

       Of course, Mr. Bush shouldn't have issued an order to Sharon
in the first place. He has no right to tell the head of any sovereign
state what to do, including Yasser Arafat. But he's gotten into the
habit of doing just that, as if he were emperor of the world. Well,
if you talk the talk, you'd better strut the strut, or you'll end up
an object of contempt.

       He has allowed a prime minister from a small country to "dis"
him. That isn't even close to cool. Now he's made himself an
accessory to covering up what might well be a massacre of innocent
civilians. The Israeli refusal to allow an inquiry is a strong
indication of guilt. It is shameful that the United States is not
demanding an investigation.

       Mr. Bush apparently does not understand that being president
is more than reading speeches somebody else wrote. It's more than
photo opportunities. It's been our post-1960 curse to elect men who
do not know the difference between campaigning and governing. I wish
he had read more. Teddy Roosevelt said walk softly but carry a big
stick - not be a loudmouth with a toothpick.