-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.newsmax.com/cgi-bin/printer_friendly.pl

>>>Mueller was sworn in on 4th September, 2001.  Where's Freeh in all the hoopla?
A<>E<>R<<<

}}}>Begin
Reprinted from NewsMax.com

Bush Names Mueller FBI Director

NewsMax.com Wires
Friday, July 6, 2001

WASHINGTON - President Bush on Thursday named San Francisco U.S. Attorney
Robert Mueller to head the FBI, ending a troubled search for a new bureau chief after
the resignation of Louis Freeh.

Bush announced Mueller's appointment in the Rose Garden shortly before noon.

"I am deeply honored," said Mueller, who appeared alongside Bush and Attorney
General John Ashcroft. "I look forward to the confirmation process."

Mueller, 56, emerged in recent weeks as the front-runner in the White House's
search for an FBI director. However, administration and FBI sources recently said
the search was expanding because Bush wanted options in addition to Mueller.

Freeh stepped down last month. His resignation was unexpected, and recent
troubles at the bureau clouded the search for a new director.

In February, veteran counterintelligence agent Robert Hanssen was charged with
spying for Moscow for 15 years and collecting $1.4 million in money and diamonds.
Next, the execution of Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh had to be postponed
because the bureau discovered that thousands of documents had not been turned
over to the court.

Bush had said he wanted a strong manager to oversee the FBI in the wake of
revelations about the missing McVeigh documents.

The FBI is under investigation by Congress and the Justice Department. Many in
Congress appear to want to limit its jurisdiction and increase congressional
oversight.

Already taxed trying to get people in place in the new administration, the White
House put together what one former senior Justice Department official called a
"hasty list" of candidates.

Three candidates - Mueller, Washington lawyer George Terwilliger, veteran Chicago
prosecutor and white-collar defense lawyer Dan Webb - were interviewed by White
House counsel Alberto Gonzalez and Ashcroft.

Webb pulled himself out of consideration. Terwilliger fell from the short list because
his work as a Bush strategist in the Florida recount was thought to have made him a
target for Senate Democrats. Another candidate, 67-year-old Judge Sterling Johnson
Jr., a former New York City police narcotics detective and the only black on the list,
was determined to be too old for the 10-year term.

By mid-June Mueller stood alone. The decorated former Marine officer (he was
wounded in Vietnam) joined the department in 1976 as an assistant U.S. attorney in
the San Francisco office he now heads. He stayed there until 1982 and then moved
to Boston, where he eventually became the U.S. attorney.

Bush's father, President George Bush, appointed him assistant attorney general in
charge of the criminal division in 1990 and when he left office, Mueller took a lower
position in charge of a specialized homicide task force in Washington's U.S.
attorney's office.

As the Clinton administration was winding down, Mueller was brought to Washington
as acting deputy attorney general. When Ashcroft took office, Mueller impressed him
and his staff and he was put on the list of possible FBI directors.

But a former senior Justice Department official said that Mueller was sharply
opposed inside the department. Several years after he left the assistant attorney
general's post, a Justice Department Inspector General's report criticized the
management of Criminal Division operations and people he had put in place.

This same source said it was Mueller who ordered the prosecutors on the Hanssen
case to ask for the death penalty, which ran counter to Justice Department policy
since the 1950s.

"Asking for the death penalty in spying cases is counterproductive," this former
official said. "What you are trying to do is to get the turncoat to tell you what
damage
he's done."

The Justice Department later dropped the death penalty request.

The bureau, with 11,215 sworn law enforcement agents, 15,000 support personnel,
56 offices in the United States and offices in U.S. embassies in 44 foreign countries,
is the most powerful and effective national police agency in the world. With the
Russian KGB largely dismantled, there is no other police or counterintelligence
agency in the world with its technological or personnel resources.

Although Freeh left under criticism, most law enforcement officials credit him with
understanding that crime and terrorism had become as international as the Internet
and the global economy.

He pushed the bureau into joint investigations with police around the world, training
and liaison with Russia, daring international investigations that not only snared
foreigners who committed crimes on U.S. soil, but also built cases against people
who planned the crimes abroad and never set foot in the United States.

This has made the director's job an astounding combination of manager, senior
diplomat and hard-nosed cop. The FBI's employment ads in the nation's newspapers
tell a lot. They need agents who speak Arabic and Farsi, Urdu and Korean. They
need computer wizards who can trace cybercrimes and financial analysts who follow
money-laundering trails through the most sophisticated banks in the world.

Hanssen was a good example. He was in the J. Edgar Hoover mold: son of a
Chicago cop, religious, conservative and a family man.

"Freeh put men in charge of sophisticated information technology departments and
laboratories who had no experience in those fields," said one former official.

Like most of the candidates on Bush's first list, Freeh had never managed an entity
larger than a medium-size law firm before taking on this 25,000-employee agency.

Filling the FBI director's job is not an easy task.

Politicians are driven away by the 10-year tenure, which means a political career
could be ended. Police executives seldom have the stature and the international
savoir fare to carry off the assignment.

Copyright 2001 by United Press International.

All rights reserved.

Read more on this subject in related Hot Topics:
Bush Administration
Hanssen Case
A product that might interest you:
Own a Piece of Authentic Ronald Reagan!
End<{{{

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway