You are confusing levels here

You obviously will not be having 1st graders read weighty tomes on diversity.
But once kids get the basics, you can use more thoughtful materials, as part of a combined curriculum, that teaches reading skills such as comprehension, as well as whatever the subject matter is. Reading is more than being able to get the words right. Reading is the ability to get the words, extract meaning, examine for consistency, and being able to reflect your own thought against the material, in order to come to some conclusions. Phonics only teaches getting the words right.

on 7/13/02 5:53 PM, Jim Rarey at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

-Caveat Lector-
Teach them about reading by having them read about
diversity

That thinking is why half or more of our population are functional illiterates. Most  children have to be taught how to read. Just having them read, or reading to them, does nothing to impart the "rules" of the alphabet. All it does is heighten their sense of frustration because they can't master the art of reading and makes them feel inferior (the exact opposite of what the PC idiots say they want, which is to bolster their sense of self-esteem).Phonics is the only way to teach reading.

JR

----- Original Message -----
From: Nessie SFBG <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: [CTRL] PC run amok AGAIN

-Caveat Lector-

>by using the few hours they do have for teaching about diversity, it
>takes away from hours that could be better spent teaching about
>reading,

That's absurd. Teach them about reading by having them read about
diversity. Teach critical thinking by having them discuss what they
have read.

<A HREF=""www.ctrl.org" <http://www.ctrl.org/"> http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A <http://www.ctrl.org/"> >
screeds are unwelcomed. Substance-not soap-boxing-please!  These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'-with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright frauds-is used politically by different groups with

 <A HREF=""Archives'>http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives" <http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">  of
 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >

http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF=""ctrl" <http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/"> http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A <http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/"> >

Om <A HREF=""http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A>" DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF=""http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives" of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill

NEURONAUTIC INSTITUTE on-line: http://home.earthlink.net/~thew