-Caveat Lector-

I disagree with the logic here. At least in the case of the UK, it was
(and may still be) 'the elite' that were able to organise and afford the
infrastructure which now exists to facilitate the development of modern
abortion clinics. I would further propose that such a development was
promoted in order to prevent the births of unplanned children to the
young, unmarried daughters of the elite. Scandal and prevention-driven
abortion was thus used to prevent illigitimacy amongst the elite who
could afford to pay for it.

For the record, many such clinics also provide a charitable service for
the less monied 'plain folks' who voluntarily seek such a procedure
having found themselves in the same, or similar situation.

This is not, however, to defend the position that there are no population
reduction plans advocating the use of abortion (there suely are) - My
point is that, contrary to the comments offerred below - 'the elites' ARE
expected to have abortions - and commonly do so - often for reasons driven
by external economic and social pressures.

T.