-Caveat Lector-

http://www.jihadunspun.net/newsarchive/article_internal.php?article=27167&list=/newsarchive/index.php&;

New Bush Strategy: America As World s Cop
Sep 23, 2002
Source: NewsMax.com

America s new policy defining its role in the world as announced today by
the White House presents the U.S. as anxious to preserve peace and
democracy, but on closer reading it becomes clear that the real role is that
of the U.S. is to be the World s beat cop.

"We will not hesitate to act alone, to exercise our right to self-defense by
acting pre-emptively  against terrorists,  President Bush warned in a new
document issued at the very moment where U.N. member states such as Russia
are showing serious reluctance to back U.S. calls for a new resolution that
would authorize an attack on Iraq.

The lengthy, 33-page document, "The National Security Strategy of the United
States," is a report that the president must, under law, submit to Congress,
but this report goes far beyond any other presidential strategy report
issued in the past.

Observers say Bush s announced strategic policy is the most aggressive since
the Reagan administration, if not before. In it, the White House calls it a
value-oriented strategy, encompassing the idea that it is up to the United
States not only to make the world safer, but better.

"America is now threatened less by conquering states than we are by failing
ones,  the document proclaims.

In releasing the document, White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer said in
a statement that the report sets forth the principles that will guide the
U.S. henceforth under the Bush administration.

"America must always stand for and protect the universal values on which it
was founded. To this end, President Bush makes clear that the United States
will use its position of strength and influence in the world to defend,
preserve, and extend the peace," Fleischer said. "This strategy states that
the safety and security of America is the first and fundamental commitment
of the our government."

The report opens by noting that "The great struggles of the 20th century
between liberty and totalitarianism ended with a decisive victory for the
forces of freedom and a single sustainable model for national success:
freedom, democracy and free enterprise. In the 21st century, only nations
that share a commitment to protecting basic human rights and guaranteeing
political and economic freedom will be able to unleash the potential of
their people and assure their future prosperity.

"People everywhere want to say what they think, choose who will govern them,
worship as they please, educate their children   male and female, own
property and enjoy the benefits of their labor. These values of freedom are
right and true for every person, in every society   and the duty of
protecting these values against their enemies is the common calling of
freedom-loving people across the globe. . . .

"The events of Sept. 11, 2001, taught us that weak states like Afghanistan
can pose as great a danger to our national interests as strong states.
Poverty does not make poor people into terrorists and murderers. Yet
poverty, weak institutions and corruption can make weak states vulnerable to
terrorist networks and drug cartels within their borders.

According to the New York Times, the report states that American strategy
requires that the U.S.:

Speak out honestly about violations of the nonnegotiable demands of human
dignity using our voice and vote in international institutions to advance
freedom;
use our foreign aid to promote freedom and support those who struggle
nonviolently for it, ensuring that nations moving toward democracy are
rewarded for the steps they take;
take special efforts to promote freedom of religion and conscience and
defend it from encroachment by repressive governments. . . .
Our priority will be first to disrupt and destroy terrorist organizations of
global reach and attack their leadership; command, control, and
communications; material support; and finances. This will have a disabling
effect upon the terrorists' ability to plan and operate.
"We will disrupt and destroy terrorist organizations by:

direct and continuous action using all the elements of national and
international power. Our immediate focus will be those terrorist
organizations of global reach and any terrorist or state sponsor of
terrorism which attempts to gain or use weapons of mass destruction (W.M.D.)
or their precursors;
defending the United States, the American people and our interests at home
and abroad by identifying and destroying the threat before it reaches our
borders. While the United States will constantly strive to enlist the
support of the international community, we will not hesitate to act alone,
if necessary, to exercise our right of self-defense by acting pre-emptively;
. . . and
denying further sponsorship, support and sanctuary to terrorists by
convincing or compelling states to accept their sovereign responsibilities.
"We will also wage a war of ideas to win the battle against international
terrorism. This includes:

using the full influence of the United States, and working closely with
allies and friends, to make clear that all acts of terrorism are
illegitimate so that terrorism will be viewed in the same light as slavery,
piracy, or genocide: behavior that no respectable government can condone or
support and all must oppose;
supporting moderate and modern government, especially in the Muslim world,
to ensure that the conditions and ideologies that promote terrorism do not
find fertile ground in any nation; . . .
"America s comprehensive strategy to combat Weapons of Mass Destruction
includes:

Proactive counterproliferation efforts. We must deter and defend against the
threat before it is unleashed. . . . Given the goals of rogue states and
terrorists, the United States can no longer solely rely on a reactive
posture as we have in the past. The inability to deter a potential attacker,
the immediacy of today's threats, and the magnitude of potential harm that
could be caused by our adversaries' choice of weapons, do not permit that
option. . . .
"We will use our economic engagement with other countries to underscore the
benefits of policies that generate higher productivity and sustained
economic growth, including:

pro-growth legal and regulatory policies to encourage business investment,
innovation and entrepreneurial activity;
tax policies, particularly lower marginal tax rates, that improve incentives
for work and investment;
rule of law and intolerance of corruption so that people are confident that
they will be able to enjoy the fruits of their economic endeavors. . . .
"Beyond market access, the most important area where trade intersects with
poverty is in public health. We will ensure that the W.T.O. intellectual
property rules are flexible enough to allow developing nations to gain
access to critical medicines for extraordinary dangers like H.I.V./AIDS,
tuberculosis and malaria.

"A world where some live in comfort and plenty, while half of the human race
lives on less than $2 a day, is neither just nor stable. Including all of
the world's poor in an expanding circle of development and opportunity is a
moral imperative and one of the top priorities of U.S. international policy.
. . .

"The United States Government will . . . provide resources to aid countries
that have met the challenge of national reform. We propose a 50 percent
increase in the core development assistance given by the United States. . .
.

"The United States must and will maintain the capability to defeat any
attempt by an enemy   whether a state or nonstate actor   to impose its will
on the United States, our allies, or our friends. We will maintain the
forces sufficient to support our obligations, and to defend freedom. Our
forces will be strong enough to dissuade potential adversaries from pursuing
a military buildup in hopes of surpassing, or equaling, the power of the
United States. . . .

"Ultimately, the foundation of American strength is at home. It is in the
skills of our people, the dynamism of our economy and the resilience of our
institutions. A diverse, modern society has inherent, ambitious,
entrepreneurial energy. Our strength comes from what we do with that energy.
That is where our national security begins.

The message to the world is clear: Get ready for Pax Americana.