-Caveat Lector- In a message dated 9/29/2002 7:26:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Yes Prudy, all of those thriving Christian and Jewish communities are where in the Middle East?

Well, I lived in Turkey mostly, and in the town where we lived there were four different Christian churches and a Roman Catholic church about eighteen miles out of town.  There were Jews there, but I did not know them.  I know that at least one young Israeli physicist traveled throughout Turkey without any problems, and I knew one young Turkish man who had fallen in love with a Jewish girl in Istanbul, but they finally gave it up, because they could not figure out a way to marry without her losing her family.  A couple of hundred miles from us was the town of Mardin.  It was an Armenian area which was the center of the silver workers.  They were Armenian Orthodox.  Their products were gorgeous and were sold throughout Turkey in the gold centers.  You could practice any religion in the world in Turkey, but you were not allowed to proselytize.  I knew people who had lived in Iran under the Shah not the Ayatollah, and they had no problems practicing their religions.  Don't think that religious contention is only in the Middle East.  Some years ago I worked with a Ukranian girl (Catholic) whose husband was Russian (Orthodox Catholic).  They were from a small Pennsylvania town near Erie.  They had to leave their town and move to Erie when they married, because of terrible ill feelings in their families and throughout the community.  My husband's father (Methodist) never really forgave his daughter for marrying a Catholic.  He may have been the prototype for Archie Bunker.  He certainly could have been.  I think that fifty years may have changed things for the better, but I wouldn't bet on it.  Prudy
<A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>