-Caveat Lector-

on 9/30/02 1:38 PM, flw at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-
>
>> I did ask you 2 questions, trying clarify, for myself and my own
> imperfect
>> understanding of what you said.
>>
>> 1 - Do you believe a "end justify the means" philosophy of action?
>
>  My point was such a broad question is irrelevant to the Israeli
>  occupation of Palestine without specific context.
>
>  My answer to your broad question is: It depends on the 'ends' and the
>  'means' used and required to achieve those 'ends'. For example, if a
> subjugated
>  people, including innocent civilians, are murdered via state terrorism
> used to
>  enforce that subjugation, then counter-terrorism is acceptable if that
> is
>  the only means of effective resistance. Sometimes it is necessary for
>  others "to feel your pain" if all other avenues are denied.

Fair enough. I mostly agree, but less than I used to. I love people more,
and causes less, I suppose. Violence makes less sense to me.

>  Unfortunately History proves that generally occupiers only stop
>  occupying when the Occupation causes the occupiers to pay too
>  high a price.
>

>> 2 - Can you give me an example of the Warsaw uprising targeting innocent
>> civilians, children, &tc, as opposed to military targets?
>
>  My point of reference regarding the Warsaw Ghetto was that desperate
>  people are forced to commit desperate acts. Sticking to your take on the
>  WGU, I assume you find it completely acceptable for the Palestinians to
> kill
>  Israeli soldiers who are occupying Palestine? What about armed
> 'settlers'
>  (i.e colonizers)?

Soldiers against soldiers - is more legit, yes. I don't condone it, but
warfare is best kept away from civilians. So If you say "Palestinians" as
the whole population killing the soldiers - I can't say I agree absolutely -
armed settlers and armed Palestinians are the same to me in this context.
Idiots.

> Whether or not a majority of the Israeli public agrees with the Greater
> Israeli Sharon Gang (they voted for him knowing exactly what they would
> get),
> they approve of his policies. Perhaps the majority of Germans did not
> support
> Hitler but they tolerated his policies also and came to a bad end because
> of that toleration. Of course the same is true for the US. If the US public
> tolerates or supports aggressive national policy that causes pain, anger,
> and
> distress to other countries or groups, prepare to accept the price. This is
> not
> a moral statement, just a recognition of reality.

I agree with this almost completely. I'm not so sure how many people who
voted for Bush absolutely approve of all his policies. Same goes for Sharon.

> I note that you did not dispute any of the substance of my post regarding
> the general proposition of occupiers vs occupied, demographics, etc.
> but merely want to quibble over analogies.

I don't support much of what Israel has done. The 2 groups don't even share
the same historical facts, and so they are arguing in different languages,
impossible to understand each other. I think Israel has a right to exist. I
do not support most of it's rightwing hawkish actions.

I was not quibbling at all - I was really trying to get at the real points
of what was being said. In a fully verbal medium, it's silly to dismiss
anything as just semantics.

> The bottom line is that when one country conducts a brutal, murderous,
> occupation of another people by a policy of state terrorism, it is
> ridiculous
> for those same people to claim victimhood when the occupied use similiar
> tactics to fight the occupation. (Unless you believe it is moral to bomb
> civilians as long as you use jets and heliocopters but it is 'immoral' to
> actually become the bomb and deliver the human bomb in person.)

Of course all of that ignores the anti-Jewish massacres that took place in
the region before 1947 - in the teens and '20's , etc.

I never support the killing of civilians. The question remains, is someone
in that specific context really a civilian if they shoot or bomb others for
political reasons?

> Doesn't the Torah state that you reap what you sow?

The Torah is a religious document, and thus is at best meaningful metaphors
to guide and bind a tribe. I certainly never base arguments on any religious
texts.

> flw

"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." -- Mark Twain

NEURONAUTIC INSTITUTE on-line: http://home.earthlink.net/~thew