-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Congress Seeks F.B.I. Data on Informer; F.B.I. Resists

October 6, 2002
By JAMES RISEN

WASHINGTON, Oct. 5 - The Federal Bureau of Investigation
had a confidential informer who rented rooms in California
to two of the Sept. 11 hijackers, but the bureau is
resisting a request from the Congressional committee
investigating the attacks to interview the informer and his
F.B.I. handler, government officials said.

The joint Sept. 11 Congressional committee plans to hold a
closed hearing on Wednesday focusing on the F.B.I.'s
handling of its San Diego informer, who was the landlord of
the hijackers Khalid al-Midhar and Nawaq Alhazmi a year
before the attacks.

Several officials said the F.B.I. had rebuffed requests to
make the informer available to the committee and would not
authorize the agent who was his contact to testify.

The F.B.I.'s resistance has led Congressional officials to
become more aggressive in trying to find out whether the
informer provided clues about the hijackers that the bureau
ignored or failed to act on before Sept. 11.

An F.B.I. official said the bureau had provided the
committee with all the agent's reports on the informer's
activities. The official said the F.B.I. was unwilling to
allow the informer to testify on principle, fearing it
could damage efforts to recruit sources from Arab-American
communities. The official said the F.B.I. had not learned
the identity of Mr. Midhar or Mr. Alhazmi from the
informer, who was known as a "passive source," meaning he
was not assigned to obtain specific intelligence but
routinely passed on information.

The official said the F.B.I. did not have any information
indicating that the informer knew anything about the plot
or had passed on any details that should have caused his
F.B.I. contact to focus more closely on Mr. Midhar or Mr.
Alhazmi.

But Congressional investigators say the F.B.I.'s efforts to
block their inquiry makes them skeptical of the bureau's
assertions about the informer. They also say the Justice
Department has joined the F.B.I. in fighting the
Congressional requests for information related to the
matter, escalating tensions.

The fight over access to the informer is the latest bitter
dispute between the committee and the Bush administration
and the intelligence and law enforcement agencies that are
the subject of the committee's investigation.

Antagonism between the Central Intelligence Agency and the
committee became public a week ago after the director of
central intelligence, George J. Tenet, wrote a letter to
the committee's leaders, protesting the treatment of a
senior C.I.A. officer who had testified about the agency's
record on fighting terrorism. Mr. Tenet's letter was in
response to a disclosure that the committee's staff had
written briefing papers predicting to committee members
that Cofer Black, who was until recently the chief of the
C.I.A.'s counterterrorism center, would "dissemble" in his
testimony.

Separately, documents made public in federal court in
Alexandria, Va., late last month showed that the Justice
Department sought unsuccessfully to prevent F.B.I. agents,
and the bureau's director, Robert S. Mueller III, from
testifying publicly before the joint inquiry.

Justice Department lawyers asked the judge presiding in the
case of Zacarias Moussaoui, who faces a trial on conspiracy
charges related to the Sept. 11 attacks, to rule that
Congressional testimony from agents and Mr. Mueller to the
committee would imperil Mr. Moussaoui's trial. Lawyers for
the Congressional committee responded in court filings of
their own, saying that the Justice Department was seeking
an order that they could use to tell F.B.I. witnesses not
to respond to questions about the bureau's handling of the
Moussaoui case.

The role of the F.B.I.'s San Diego informer has become
important to the Congressional committee because he is
linked to the two hijackers who have come under the most
intense scrutiny in the joint inquiry. Mr. Midhar and Mr.
Alhazmi, who were among the hijackers on the American
Airlines plane that crashed into the Pentagon, were
identified as Qaeda operatives by the C.I.A. in January
2001. But the C.I.A. did not ask the State Department to
place their names on a watch list intended to prevent entry
into the United States until late August. By then, they
were both in the country. The C.I.A. passed on information
about the two men to the F.B.I. in late August, but by then
the bureau had little time to track them down.

Mr. Midhar is believed to have played a central role in the
attacks, and some Congressional officials say they believe
the plot might have been disrupted if he had been caught.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/06/politics/06INTE.html?ex=1034874245&ei=1&en=02348a94899e473d

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company