-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.iranmania.com/News/ArticleView/Default.asp?NewsCode=12632
&NewsKind=CurrentAffairs

IranMania News - www.iranmania.com

Iran stresses opposition to Kurdish state in north Iraq

TEHRAN, Oct 20 (AFP) - Iran's intelligence minister Sunday stressed his country's
opposition
to the

creation of any Kurdish state in northern Iraq, after key US ally Turkey accused
Washington
of helping set up a "de facto" country in the area.

©2002 IranMania & AFP
Intelligence Minister, Ali Yunesi.

Ali Yunesi, who is on a visit to Damascus, was cited by the state IRNA news agency
here as
saying Iran was "hostile to the establishment of a Kurdish state in northern Iraq," and
charged recent meetings of a Kurdish parliament were a "domestic propaganda game."

Commenting on Kurdish cooperation with the United States in a possible war to oust
Iraqi
leader Saddam Hussein, Younesi said "Iran has evidence and information saying the Iraqi
opposition will not follow US policies."

"They will never accept to serve the Americans as soldiers of lackeys," he said,
adding that
Iran would remain "actively neutral" in any conflict.

"We will be neither soldiers for the Americans, nor on the side of Saddam Hussein, but
will
concentrate all our efforts, with the cooperation of Syria and other countries ... to
prevent a
US attack against Iraq," he said.

In Ankara, Foreign Minister Sukru Sina Gurel said Turkey would intervene militarily to
prevent the creation of an independent Iraqi Kurdish state, in remarks published
Sunday.

©2002 IranMania & AFP
Photo/Atta Kenare
Photo showing Turkish Foreign Minister Sukru Sina Gurel and Iranian Foreign Minister
Kamal Kharrazi.

"US officials say they do not want an independent Kurdish state in northern Iraq but
developments there show a de facto state has been set up," Gurel told the Milliyet
newspaper.

After recently mending fences, the two main Kurdish parties controlling northern Iran
-- the
Patriotic Union of Kurdistan and Kurdistan Democratic Party -- have been holding
parliamentary sessions since early October.

Both Tehran and Ankara, as well as Damascus, are concerned a breakaway Kurdish entity
could rekindle separatism among their own Kurdish minorities.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>