-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/4378776.htm

Posted on Sat, Oct. 26, 2002

Neil Bush touting education venture

BY PETER WALLSTEN
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

TALLAHASSEE - Neil Bush, a younger brother of Gov. Jeb Bush, is promoting a new
business
venture in Florida with the potential to benefit from his brother's policies.

The Texas-based business, called Ignite, is tailoring software to help middle-school
students prepare for the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test, a standardized test
that
is the backbone of Gov. Bush's ''A+'' plan that grades schools.

The software, which Ignite is custom-designing for several states from California to
Florida,
is being used as a pilot in an Orlando-area middle school that has received millions
in state
grants to study ways of improving efficiency and lowering costs.

The school is using the software for free, but the pilot gives Ignite a firm foothold
in one of
the nation's biggest education technology markets.

A company spokeswoman said Saturday that Ignite is actively marketing to other schools
in
the state, hoping to sell its ''Early American History'' course for eighth-graders to
schools at
the cost of $30 a year per student.

HOPING TO SELL

''We haven't sold any school in Florida yet, but we're really hoping to soon,'' Ignite
spokeswoman Louise Thacker said.

Thacker said the company does not have an advantage in Florida just because the brother
of its founder and CEO happens to be the self-proclaimed ``education governor.''

A spokeswoman for the state Department of Education could find no indication Friday
that
Ignite had approached the state about its product. And Katie Muniz, a spokeswoman for
Gov. Bush, said the governor has never talked with his brother about the business.

But even advocates of the software say Ignite is well positioned to benefit from the
education policies of Gov. Bush and the third brother, President George W. Bush.

The president's ''Leave No Child Behind'' law forces states to use testing as a
measuring
stick for schools.

BASED ON FCAT

Gov. Bush's ''A+'' plan grades schools based on students' FCAT scores.

Kate Clark, principal of Ocoee Middle School, which has been using Ignite in its
eighth-
grade classrooms since last year, said the software is ideal given the new emphasis on
standardized tests and given increased class sizes that make individual attention a
rarity.

''With the class sizes we have, it's critical that we find ways to help meet the needs
of all
those students,'' Clark said. ``Technology is one of the ways that I believe can help
us
meet the needs of a diverse group of learners.''

Ocoee has partnerships with Microsoft and Dell and is testing several other types of
software designed to help teachers. Clark called the Ignite program ``really cool.''

Clark said it would be ''a stretch'' to say her school signed a contract with Neil
Bush's
company because of any special connections. The governor has not visited Ocoee in his
many school tours over the past four years, and his name did not come up in
conversations
about Ignite.

RECENT CALL

That is, until a recent phone call from Neil Bush, in which he indicated an interest
in his
brother's checking out the school's technological advancements.

'He said, `I've got to get my brother down there for a visit sometime soon,' '' Clark
recalled.

The software company marks Neil's return to the headlines since getting caught up in
the
$1 billion failure of the Silverado Savings & Loan in Colorado. He was a director of
the thrift
and quickly became a symbol of the S&L crisis that unfolded during his father's years
in the
White House.

Neil Bush and Ignite have worked hard to woo business in Florida.

BOARD MEMBER

Mike Eason, formerly the top technology official for the state Department of Education
and
now executive director of the private Florida Educational Technology Conference, is a
member of an Ignite advisory board.

Neil Bush was a featured speaker at the FETC's annual conference last year and touted
the
software to state educators at a booth in the exhibit hall. He is expected to return
to the
conference again in the spring, Eason said.

At the same time, Neil Bush visited Ocoee Middle School last year and has remained in
frequent contact, speaking with Clark on the phone and exchanging e-mails on a regular
basis.

The company's website includes a 14-page document outlining exactly how the Ignite
social- studies course matches the Sunshine State Standards on which the FCAT is based.

FAMILY NAME

Neil Bush has not been shy about marketing his family name as part of his pitch. The
Ignite
website notes that he is on the board of the Points of Light Foundation, founded by his
father the former president, and serves as ''the Bush family representative'' on the
national
advisory board to the George Bush School of Government and Public Service.

The New York Times reported earlier this year that Neil Bush had raised capital around
the
world to start his new company, including Saudi Arabia and Egypt -- drawing criticism
that
he was banking on his brother's international influence.

Neil Bush told The Times that he was especially careful to maintain a separation and
avoid
conflicts of interest related to either brother, President Bush or Gov. Bush.

Gov. Bush's education agenda has come under fire from his Democratic rival, Bill
McBride,
who has specifically attacked the governor for his reliance on high-stakes tests.

A spokesman for the Democratic Party called Ignite's marketing campaign in the state
problematic, saying it creates a strange appearance.

''I don't know where the money's going to come from for this,'' said Ryan Banfill, the
Democrats' spokesman. ``These districts are hard pressed to pay for chalk, let alone
to put
money in the pocket of the Bush family.''

© 2001 miami and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.miami.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>