-Caveat Lector-

From
HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Local & State

Oct. 31, 2002, 1:35PM

Texas may yank AIDS drugs from thousands

Associated Press

FORT WORTH - As many as 20 percent of nearly 12,000 Texans who rely on a state
program to get lifesaving AIDS drugs will lose their coverage if a proposed regulation
goes
into effect in a few months.

Texas Department of Health officials, who proposed the more restrictive income cutoff
and
other changes, say a budgetary crisis gives them no choice.

The state's nearly $60 million program faces a $3 million shortfall for this fiscal
year, which
ends next August.

The shortfall is $30 million more over the next two fiscal years, Dr. Celine Hanson,
bureau
chief of HIV and STD Prevention, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in today's editions.

AIDS advocates say they were blindsided by the proposal, approved unanimously at the
Health Department's Oct. 18 board meeting.

They question why the department doesn't wait to learn whether the Legislature, which
convenes early next year, approves funding to cover the program's shortfall. The Health
Department has requested an additional $34 million for the next two-year budgetary
cycle,
which ends in August 2005.

"This is literally a death sentence for some folks," said Pamela Donnelly, associate
executive
director at AIDS Outreach Center, which serves Tarrant and eight other counties.

"I feel like they've put the cart before the horse. It's very likely that we are not
going to be
able to lobby in a (state budget) deficit year for 34 million additional dollars,"
Donnelly said.
"But let's see what we do get, and let's see then what corners we have to cut."

The proposed regulation, expected to be posted Friday in the Texas Register, is open
for 30
days of public comment. The Health Department's board will revisit the issue, likely in
January or February, before the regulation can become final, Hanson said.

And the changes can be reversed at any time if additional state or federal funds are
appropriated, but there has to be a backup plan, officials say.

Otherwise, "we would have zero dollars left, and we would be able to provide zero
medications for zero people," said Dwayne Haught, manager of the Texas HIV medication
program.

If the new regulation is finalized, new enrollees would be affected immediately. A
projected
1,700 Texans would no longer qualify from January 2003 to August 2005, according to
state
Health Department estimates.

Existing enrollees would be given a six-month grace period to find other options,
officials
say. An estimated 2,500 people would lose coverage by August 2005.

The Texas program, funded by state and federal dollars, is designed to be a safety net
for
people who can't get all their medications covered by Medicaid or earn slightly too
much to
qualify for public assistance.

The program's costs are escalating because more clients are eligible; about 9,000 were
served in 1999 compared with a projected 11,500 in 2002.

Plus, the average cost per client has nearly doubled since 1996 to about $9,500
annually.
And with newer, better and more expensive drugs becoming available, those costs will
escalate further, Hanson said.

The proposed changes hit hard because they not only substantially restrict income
limits,
they also don't allow people to deduct their biggest financial cost: the drugs.

Michael Click, diagnosed with HIV in 1987, has relied on the program since 1995. On a
$16,000 income, he would be left with about $6,000 to live on after paying for
medications
now covered under the state program.

"I don't qualify for any of the other social service programs because I make too much
money," said Click, 44, of Fort Worth. "Right now, I'm surviving on my own. I can't
tell you
the desperation I feel at the thought of losing it all after all of this time."

Click for Details

Innovative Furniture

Click for Details

Houston's Largest Jewelry Showroom.

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Local & State
This article is: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/1641836
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>