-Caveat Lector-

http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/international.cfm?id=1295742002

""" Delay and defiance will invite the severest consequences. """

>>> So what's Shrub talking about here?  Delay?  Is that Tom?  De fiance?  is Tom
betrothed or is that some other manly person who's out to show his gonadoidalism by
sending other peoples' kids off to war agian?  Shore wish Dubsie would quit usin' them
trickin' woids.  A<>E<>R <<<

Admiral's forecast infuriates US hawks

FRASER NELSON

THEIR tone could not have been more different.

In Prague, the upbeat US president, George Bush, was ratcheting up the pressure on
Saddam Hussein and again threatening military action.

In London, Britain’s chief of defence staff, Admiral Sir Michael Boyce, was giving a
gloomy
analysis of his troops’ morale as they filled in for Britain’s striking firefighters.

While his political masters confirmed that Britain had been approached to join any
coalition
against Iraq, Admiral Boyce appeared to cast doubt on his forces’ ability to carry
that fight.

Speaking ahead of today’s NATO summit, Mr Bush told Saddam Hussein he would be
entering his “final stage” if he denied having weapons of mass destruction and said he
would build a “coalition of the willing” to disarm Iraq.

Mr Bush said: “We now call an end to that game of deception and deceit and denial.
Saddam Hussein has been given a very short time to declare completely and truthfully
his
arsenal of terror.

“Should he again deny that this arsenal exists, he will have entered his final stage
with a
lie, and deception this time will not be tolerated. Delay and defiance will invite the
severest
consequences.”

The White House said the United States had begun contacting about 50 countries to
assess
their willingness to join a coalition against Iraq.

Bush linked disarming Iraq with NATO’s future relevance, comparing the perceived threat
from Saddam to the Cold War challenges that the allies had faced down, and to the
failure
to oppose aggression against Czechoslovakia by Hitler’s Germany that had led to World
War
Two.

As Mr Bush was talking tough, chief weapons inspectors were returning to Cyprus after a
two-day trip to Iraq. Describing their talks with Iraqi officials as “business-like”,
they said
the discussions had set the stage for a decisive new round of weapons inspections
starting
next week.

“The world and the Security Council want assurances that Iraq has no more weapons of
mass destruction,” the chief of the UN inspection team, Hans Blix, said.

A dispute over visits to Saddam’s “presidential sites” contributed to the breakdown of
the
UN inspections regime in 1998. The new resolution demands unfettered access, access
which Mr Blix said the Iraqis were willing to give.

“That is settled by the resolution,” Mr Blix replied when asked whether the issue had
arisen
in his Baghdad talks with the Iraqi foreign minister, Naji Sabri, and other Iraqis.
“It wasn’t
even discussed. They accept that.”

A senior Iraqi politician said the Baghdad government will co-operate fully with the
inspectors, but he warned the Americans not to place spies on the inspection teams.

Admiral Boyce’s unexpected intervention yesterday will almost certainly infuriate the
Americans as much as it will Downing Street.

Last year, at the height of the war on terrorism, Admiral Boyce was reported to have
annoyed Donald Rumsfeld, the US defence secretary, by predicting that the fighting in
Afghanistan could last for years.

In a speech to the Royal United Services Institute Admiral Boyce said that strategies
of the
United States and Britain would not necessarily be identical.

“Both the UK and United States wish to promote regional stability, but our
perspectives of
global and regional stability have been distorted by the focus on fighting terrorism,”
he said.
“We have to consider whether we wish to follow the United States’ single-minded aim to
finish Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda; and/or to involve ourselves in creating the
conditions
for nation-building or reconstruction as well.”

It was important not to “identify our enemy just in the human form of Osama bin Laden –
this is not a high tech 21st century posse in the new Wild West.”

A former submariner and a naval officer for more than 40 years, he was reported to have
clashed with Geoff Hoon, the defence secretary, over the decision to scrap the Navy’s
Sea
Harriers earlier than planned. He also risked controversy by expressing reservations
about
US plans for a national missile defence system. they deemed as his over-cautious
approach
to the war on international terrorism.

Admiral Boyce became first sea lord and chief of naval staff in October 1998 before
being
appointed chief of the defence staff in February 2001. The announcement this summer
that
Admiral Boyce would be standing down next March after just over two years in the job
fuelled the rumours of behind-the- scenes disagreements with ministers.

Yesterday’s honest reflection on the state of morale of his troops is unlikely to make
ministers’ think twice about consider extending his contract.

 ©2002 scotsman.com