-Caveat Lector-

Nigerian Muslims try to calm tensions

Nigeria's top Muslim authorities have ruled that a religious edict
calling for a journalist to be killed "should be ignored".

The Supreme Islamic Council said the deputy provincial governor
who issued the edict, or fatwa, had "no authority" to do so.

On Tuesday the government of Nigeria's Zamfara state called on
Muslims to kill journalist Isioma Daniel over an article she wrote
about the Miss World pageant, which was to have taken place in
Nigeria.

The Zamfara state government has no authority to issue fatwa and
the fatwa issued by it should be ignored

Rioting that killed more than 200 people in the wake of the article
prompted the organisers of the pageant to move the event from
Nigeria to London.

Ms Daniel apologised for the article, which suggested that the
Prophet Mohammed might have approved of the pageant.

Last week the office of her newspaper, This Day, was levelled by
angry Muslims during the riots in the heavily Muslim town of
Kaduna.

Appeal for calm
"We would not encourage the Muslims who act on that declaration,"
Alhaji Lateef Adegbite, the General Secretary of the Supreme
Islamic Council told the BBC's Network Africa programme.

"Certain people are saying that if Nigeria were an Islamic state, this
is what would have happened. But those facts are not there," he
said.

He said that Muslim authorities had done enough to calm tensions in
the wake of the riots.

The fatwa was issued northern Nigerian Muslims
"We of the Muslim faith have appealed to the Muslims to be calm, to
avoid further violence," he said.

He added that no sanctions should be taken against the deputy
governor of Zamfara state, Mamuda Shinkafi, who issued the edict.

"He should not be arrested. It should be regarded as a declaration
of intent that did not have much serious value. I think it should be
overlooked."

"I'm sure when the Zamfara state government has an opportunity to
review the situation, they will make appropriate statements asking
people to discountenance the declaration," he said.

'Against our beliefs'
The newspaper has issued an apology for the article.

"The offensive paragraph runs against the grain of our beliefs and
what we stand for at This Day as we show sensitivity to the
complexity of our nation," the editors wrote.

Many Islamic scholars said that Ms Daniel's apology amounted to
repentance and that the death sentence should therefore be
revoked.

Ms Daniel, who is not a Muslim, has left the newspaper and fled
Nigeria.

The government has said it will not allow the fatwa to be carried out,
though it did condemn Ms Daniel's article as irresponsible.

Scanned by Norton AntiVirus