-Caveat Lector-

http://www.menewsline.com/stories/2002/december/12_02_2.html

ISRAEL PLANS TO CAPTURE TERRITORY IN ARAB WAR

TEL AVIV [MENL] -- Israel's military is preparing for an offensive war
against its Arab adversaries that would involve the capture of territory to ensure
victory in
any future regional conflict. Israeli military planners have been discussing and
drafting
strategies in response for a regional war that could take place in 2003. They said
such a
war is likely to begin with a Hizbullah rocket barrage from southern Lebanon in an
attack
supported by Syria. Such a war, military officials said, would be fought differently
from the
more than two-year-old campaign against Palestinian insurgents in the West Bank and
Gaza
Strip. They said Israeli aircraft, armor and troops would move rapidly to establish the
battlefield outside of the Jewish state and capture territory required to achieve
victory. "In
the next war, we will be required to be decisive in a way that will include the
capture of
territory," Maj. Gen. Yiftah Ron-Tal, head of the Ground Forces Command, said. "So, we
must preserve our offensive capability in the Israeli Defense Forces. Our maneuvers
must
take place outisde the border of Israel and the ingredients of a decisive victory will
be the
ground forces. The burden will be placed on them."