On January 8, 2023 at 11:17:48 pm +01:00, Matthew D. Fuller
<fulle...@over-yonder.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 01:49:37AM +0100 I heard the voice of
> Per Backman, and lo! it spake thus:
>

> > I have stalonetray running in the upper right corner, after restart
> > it is in the left upper corner. If I move it back again it stays
> > there after restart. It also happens with other apps, but not
> > always.
> >
> Well, in a quick glance at stalonetray, nothing in the window setup
> code jumps out at me as being particularly odd. I can't say I've seen
> anything like that happening here, though I've mostly just got a pile
> of xterms and browser windows, so there's a lot of clients I wouldn't
> be exercising at all.
>
> A common thing to test would be disabling EWMH support and seeing if
> that hides it; there's no reason that would _break_ anything, but
> stalonetray does seem to participate in EWMH conversations, and one
> side or the other could be crossing signals on what something means.
> Apart from that, it's probably down to bisecting or otherwise trying
> out some steps to find out where it shows up... I don't have any
> good guesses. Were you previously in the 4.0.3 release, or some dev
> snapshot in between?
> Yes, I was on 4.03 before, then on the first beta. I tried 4.10B on two
> distributions, PCLinuxOS and Venomlinux, two different computers, different
> age and different maker (Apple and Lenovo, both Intel).

Now I compiled the 20221228 beta without EWMH support, and the problem seems to
be gone, at least on one computer (the Mac, from 2008, I think, and PCLinuxOS).

Maybe this is more of a mystery than a problem, when I moved Stalonetray back
in place by ALT+mousebutton 1, it stayed there even if I restarted CTWM ten
times...

Per B