On Tue, Jun 05, 2007, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: [ctwm] Modifying the
modifiers for bindings...":
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007, Richard Levitte wrote about "[ctwm] Modifying the
> modifiers for bindings...":
> I wonder when this "|" for modifiers came into use... I've been using twm
> derivatives for more than 15 years (and ctwm itself for more than a decade),
> so my configuration file is a living fossil ;-) It always looked, and still
> looks, like this:
>
> "A"     = c m   : all           : f.autoraise
> Button2 =       : icon | title  : f.move
>
> In other words, it appears that there never really was a need for the
> inconsistent vertical bar in the modifier list, and a space can be used.

I looked into it some more, and it turns out that this configuration syntax,
and the suggestion of "|" in the documentation, goes all the way back to uwm,
the "Ultrix Window Manager" that preceded twm and even X11 (uwm was released
22 years ago).

See for example the following man page that I found in google:
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=0650&db=man&fname=/usr/share/catman/u_man/cat1/X11/uwm.z

So indeed the documentation always suggested a "|" between modifiers. I
wonder why my config file never had it, and how it always worked, in all
twm derivatives I used (twm, tvtwm, vtwm, swm, and ctwm).

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Tuesday, Jun  5 2007, 19 Sivan 5767
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |This '|' is not a pipe.