I really loved how in chapter one the idea of what sets exceptional
patients apart from the rest was addressed.  It’s so true how this
chapter addressed the fact that we rarely investigate what may have
lead to the success of the treatment, those that heal when they aren’t
supposed to become disregarded as outliers...it’s like we don’t want
miracles to happen or don’t believe them when they do.  Maybe they
aren’t miracles.. Maybe we just aren’t taking the steps required for
healing to take place...

1.      The necessity of relationship
2.      The importance of acceptance and surrender
3.      Focus on the present
4.      The importance of community
5.      Transcending blame
6.      The importance of the spiritual dimension
7.      Profound change
(Coyote Healing pg.24)

I think treatment programs should be designed to address all seven of
these ideals.  Patients should feel connected and supported by their
doctor, they should be in a state of mind to accept whatever happens
without falling into despair, they should focus on what they can do
right now, they should feel supported by a community and feel
connected to those around them, they should not blame themselves for
their disease or blame themselves when treatment is not working, they
should pay attention to their spirit and they should learn from their
sickness and come away with their experience having made some sort of
fundamentally change to better themselves and their life.