On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 01:22:02PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library
wrote:
> 2. We call that release 8.0.0
>
> then and disregarding what we add or not in that release. We've been
> ever-incresing the minor version number since the year 2000, and I've been
> struggling to figure out how to avoid us reaching 100 and thereby possible
> cause confusion among users.

My feelings exactly, I could also imagine some problems with having a
user-agent that would contain a 3-digit curl version as some websites might
check only the first two digits.

> I don't want to bump the soname or change any compatiblity or APIs because
> of this. I just want us to work with smaller numbers for a while. I hope
> that one of the benefits with bumping the major number is that everyone who
> sticks with version 7 will rather soon feel outdated.

Sure, and even if we need to change any compatability for whatever reason in
future we can simply bump the number again.

Cheers,
Emil