Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> My first question is always: What does POSIX say?

POSIX says:

"The last data modification and last file status change timestamps of a file
that is mapped with MAP_SHARED and PROT_WRITE shall be marked for update at
some point in the interval between a write reference to the mapped region and
the next call to msync() with MS_ASYNC or MS_SYNC for that portion of the file
by any process."

When I do a msync with MS_ASYNC it works as expected and it should not block
the process (I did not test the latter). So it was a usage issue. Sorry for the
noise...

Carsten