I tried posting a question about Win 7 on the cvsnt newsserver yesterday, but
it seems like it is not relayed to the mailing list. :-(

So now I try to repeat the post from memory to hopefully get a solution
suggestion.

I have created a development virtual machine (VMWare Workstation 6.5.3) with
Windows 7 Enterprise RTM.
Here I have installed all of the dev tools we use in the company (Delphi
compiler, WinCvs, CVSNT Client etc).

When I go to check out a project module from our corporate CVSNT server I fail
to get connection to the server.
I get an exit error code -1 and server rejected connection message...

I have tried the following CVSROOT settings:
  :SSPI:cvsserver:/Repo       (any cvs command using this root fails)

C:\Users\bob>cvs -d :sspi:3rappl01:/3RProj ls
cvs [ls aborted]: Error reading from server 3rappl01: -1: Unknown error

and
  :SSPI:u...@cvsserver:/Repo  (in this case I have first issued the cvs login
command but it too fails)

C:\Users\bob>cvs -d :sspi:b...@3rappl01:/3RProj login
Logging in to :sspi:b...@3rappl01:2401:/3RProj
CVS Password:
cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server 3rappl01: -1: Unknown error

Since I have set up one single pserver user also on this server I next tested
this:
  :pserver:u...@cvsserver:/Repo

Now I was able to first do cvs login and then check out the module I needed.

Here is an ls command example
C:\Users\bob>cvs -d :pserver:b...@3rappl01:/3RProj ls CVSROOT
Listing module: CVSROOT

checkoutlist
commit_email
commitinfo
config

So by bypassing built-in authentication with SSPI it is possible to use CVSNT
from Windows7.
This is not a valid scenario in our case though because I am the only person
with a pserver login (being the CVS admin). All standard users are supposed to
use SSPI.
Since they are still now on XP-Pro it is not a big deal yet, but when migrating
to new PC:s with Win7 it may become a problem.

CVSNT Configuration information:
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382
(client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382
(client/server)

Workstation configuration:
OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit RTM
Connected to a workgroup with the same name as the domain (we can't attach
virtual machines to the domain)
Account on Win7 created with the exact same username/password as exists on the
domain

So this raises some interesting questions concerning the CVSNT connectivity and
Windows7:
- In XP SSPI works fine provided that the XP machine is attached to the domain
the server is attached to
- But it also works fine if the XP PC is attached to a workgroup by the same
name as the domain and the local user account uses the same login name and
password as on the domain.
- On Windows 7 it seems like it is not possible to use SSPI in either mode

What is the alternative solution to this dilemma?

Bo Berglund
Automation Systems Development

System 3R International AB