Acegi can be used on the secure the application the server-side.
WS-Security stuff can be used as well.

Your client side application need only present the credentials to the
server to say who it wants to log in as. That's not a an Acegi thing,
it's really not even a java thing at that point.

If you set up Acegi to use BASIC authentication in front of your
webapp for example. Any client application (java, C#, doesn't matter);
can authenticate to your application via BASIC authentication. That is
a standard protocol, it is application independent.

Would you mind posting some of the URLs to the articles you're seeing
that seem the most interesting?