you were right ! That was finally a "stupid" classloader issue :
I have transfered the saaj jars to the application classloader (they were
previously packaged in the webapp) and this works.
I still does not understand why the app needs to see the saaj classes, but I
suppose that some Spring class based in the ear is responsible for this.
many thanks for your help.
MJ