From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        The "Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading",
Vol. 1, Fourth ED., page 322, begs to differ.
        It seems that Hornady equates the above cartridges
as equal for the purposes of reloading and for ballistics.
        That being the case, perhaps your "M G FARNAN"
wouldn't mind providing the data which points unequivocally
to another source?

        Hornady says:
        "The 308 was originally designated the 7.62mm NATO."
        --and--
        "More recently, NATO switched to the 5.56mm cartridge,
commonly known as the .223 Remmington."

        Do note that the decimal point for the .308 in the above
was also missing from the text from which I quote.

ET
--
There are (very) small differences between the SAAMI spec and the
NATO spec, don't ask me why, perhaps through the conversion

My personal view is that it is more to do with minor differences
between manufacturers, e.g. Winchester .308 brass vs. RG military
brass (or INDEP) than any physical difference in the case
dimension specifications.  In your average M60 or FAL it doesn't
make much difference but in a match chamber for a TR it can.  I
bet if you check the maximum and minimum tolerances for brass
in US measurements then in metric the tolerances will be
slightly different, as people like to round off numbers.

I am sure Winchester military 7.62 brass is identical to their
commercial .308 brass, but we don't use Winchester military
ammo.

SAAMI is always coming up with daft specifications, I can't
see why they don't use the military specifications for
military calibre ammunition.  Note for example that 9x23mm
Winchester has a higher pressure specification by SAAMI
than .38 Super, although 9x23 is just a rimless .38 Super.
There are lots of other examples, 9x19mm is the classic one.

Does anyone have any personal experience of the problem of
using 7.62 NATO in a .308?

I've always wondered why cases from different makers have
different case capacities, in fact Winchester Match brass
(rare stuff) has a higher case capacity than their regular
brass.  Surely if they're all following the SAAMI or NATO
specification the case capacities should all be the same?

When you push the limits of shooting technology I find
you eventually come up against these sorts of things.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]