From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jeremy writes, << The  German ethos of obeying the law is so deep seated that
 even today you find pedestrians waiting at a red light at a German light
controlled crossing even when there are no cars coming! >>
Nothing personal Jeremy, but here we're bordering on the Brits' instinctive
desire to laugh at what they see as Germans' excessive respect for authority.
If you ask (as I did) why they wait even when the road seems clear, the
standard answer is that it offers a good example to children - and this
highlights a genuine German characteristic, that of a greater degree of
social responsibility, community spirit if you like, than exists now in
England. Yes, Germany is if anything even more bureaucratic than UK, and a
bit more conformist; but I like being there. German communities on the whole
seem cleaner, smarter and more civilised, the beer and petrol (and cars...)
are cheaper, and the weather is less depressing. The Germans I know do not
conform to absurd Teutonic stereotypes. And they can still own handguns.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]