From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

direct imports, it never ceases to amaze me about the
greed of the UK wholesalers and the grommet like
qualities of the average UK FAC or SGC holder.

I have been in the trade for 15 years and the main
reason guns and accessories are so expensive here is
because when you deal with a factory as their agent
you have to buy items in quantity as well as contract
to buy so many per year or season.

When you have laid out $50,000 - $100,000 for stock
you desperately need a fast return on your outlay hence
the prices do become inflated. I do business with both
factories, wholesalers and retailers and I can tell you
there is very little difference in price. The mail order
retailers are usually product distributors and tend to
charge ony a fraction above dealer pricing. The discount
structure is supposed to be distributor, dealer , retail.
When you buy a scope from a discount vendor you are
paying probably the same we would pay at dealer rate. We
then have to import the item pay duty, shipping, VAT and
then we have to make a profit to feed our families,
pay for our business expenses, rent, rates, phone/fax,
insurance etc. We also often have to pay anywhere between
5 an 10% in fees to an exporter to handle the documentation
in the US.

I cannot deny you will often find equivalent or identical
goods cheaper in other parts of the world because they
have far lower costs of living and far higher turnover
rates on stock. Goods here are more expensive because of
that reality. If you value the existence of quality
firearms retailing I am afraid you have to accept that
reality and pay the going rate for those goods. I have
about L200,000 worth of stock, mostly straight-pull
rifles, parts and accessories at the moment I could
get a 50-70% p.a. yield if I put that money in financial
investments. I don't do this job for the money, I barely
make a net profit at the end of the year, I do it because
building guns is who I am and shooting is a part of my
life. If you want a shooting future that has spotty
ignoramuses in Halfords serving you WD40 as 'gun
lubricant' and who asks you questions like "No I haven't
any .22" pellets for your airgun , will .177" do?!" you
will get the gun trade you deserve through your own
actions. It seem that shooters know only the cost of
everything and the value of nothing.

Do you really think a Big Mac, fries and a Coke is good
value at L2.88 when it only costs about 48p to produce?

Guy Savage
--
Ah yes, but we have to pay for straight-pull rifles because
GB is basically the only place where they are sold with

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]