From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I would like to try and clear the ground somewhat, with
regard to range certification. There appears to be a
fair bit of scaremongering going on, and it is of no
benefit to anyone.

Pam 21 is the manual for range conduct and practice, it
has no bearing on range construction. This belongs to
what was previously Pam 22, and is now JSP 403. My
brother was the author of this tome.

There is no up-coming regulation about specific danger
areas or 100 foot walls. Can you imagine the nonsense
of a 600 yard danger area using 22LR, let alone some of
the larger c/f calibres!.

JSP 403 is only concerned with the building of ranges
to the correct spec, to give the best possible degree of
safety to both the shooters and members of the public.
The Technical Advisory Section (TAS), School of Infantry,
Warminster, are the people who ultimately control range
construction and use in this country. They are there to
help civilian shooting, they encourage civilian shooting,
and they will always offer advice and technical help to
ANY civilian club that asks for it. My club approached
them when our indoor range reached 25 years old. They
sent along 2 WO1's who gave the range a thorough looking
over, and supplied a list of advisory improvements that
we could undertake to bring the range up to "modern day"
standard. All of this was provided at no cost to
ourselves. They really are there to offer technical help
and advice- hence their name.

If any list subscriber feels that they would like some
detailed information from an independent source, the
ex Officer Commanding T.A.S., now a civilian range
constructor, is willing to give advice. Just send me an
Email with your query, and I will pass it on.

Regards,

Stuart A Haxton

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]