From:   "Peter Sarony", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kenneth:

There is a poster or plaque, can't remember which, over the entrance. It has
3 black clad soldiers, reapirators, etc. One holds an MP5, another a grenade
and the third a Remington 870 I think.
They are crouching, and the words 'stand by, stand by' are round the top.
Underneath is the motto: 'We are the Pilgrims, master, ever we shall go a
little farther' or something very similar.
Personally, I think it spoils the place. Its another naff emblem that gives
the wrong impression.
Just a personal view, you understand!
IG
--
Hmm, probably a bit too SASish.

Steve.

Steve, it is hardly surprising since, according to the records and  page 56
onward in Graeme Stewart's book "silent heroes",  in 1947 a Territorial Unit
was formed by the MoD - 21 Special  Air Service Regiment (Artists' Rifles).
The Artists' Rifles Regiment was not new however, as it had been founded in
1859 (and when was the NRA founded?) from a group of painters, architects,
musicians, engravers aand actors as part of the Volunteer Corps which was as
we know, raised to face a threatened invasion by the French. Their members
included William Holman Hunt, John Everett Millais, Frederic, Lord Leighton
(A President of the Royal Academy) and William Morris, somewhat later
members included Noel Coward and Barnes Wallis, amongst others. During WW1
members of the Artists' Rifles had won 8 VC's, 52 DSOs and 822 MCs amongst
other Honours. From the above it is clear that the Artists' are one of the
few remaining traces of the origins of the NRA.  As far as I know, 21 SAS is
still an active TA Regiment, or has this government extinguished that as
well?

Regards,

                Peter Sarony.
--
21 SAS (Artist's Rifles)(V) is still very much in existence, however,
I dare say the WW1 members were not armed with Remington 870s and

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]