From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        [...]
        I don't know about others, but I can't
walk through a town without reflecting gloomily
that the shaven-headed tattooed thug swigging
lager across the street has a vote worth just as much
as mine - and there are an awful lot of people who
share his mindless, kneejerk, fascist view of society.
        Somebody once said that while the majority
is always wrong, the minority is often right - anathema
to many liberal types, but it's the reason why too much
government, whether of the plebiscite or Parliamentary
variety, is a bad thing.
        [...]

        Anthony, I agree and disagree for the following
reasons:
        a) A democracy is, by definition, a plebiscite
driven culture;
        b) A republic has (or should have) laws that
limit the acts of the government, as well as those of the
ability of the people to act without restraint toward the
minority members of that community;
        c) A true republic will have very few instances
where a plebiscite is really necessary, since the number
of issues that are of any substance will of necessity be
small in number, and the acts of the legislature will be (or
should be) consonantly small in number.

        If the government isn't busy trying to buy votes
with largesse from the government coffers, then the
"shaven-headed tattooed thug swigging lager across the
street" won't have much of an effect in your own life, as
s/he won't have a reason to vote, as there won't be an issue
to garner their attention.

ET

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]