From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Man fights bear with bare fists
>
>A 64-year-old man punched a bear in the face after it attacked him, causing
>the animal to run off.

        Steve, & Kenneth,

        That is highly unusual!
        Most black bear attacks that are known,
usually resulted in the death of the person.
        Brown bears, for all their ferocity, can be
persuaded to depart the scene in several ways, whereas
black bears will tend to stick around to maul the hell
out of you -- usually ending in death.
        The standing advice to visitors at Northwest
Trek in Seattle, is that if attacked by a black bear, fight
like there's no tomorrow -- or their might not be one.
        In the woods I take no chance: I pack a .50 AE.
        If that doesn't convince them  . . .
        Of course, a well placed sock to the nose might
do it too, it would seem.

ET

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]