From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I do love the Olympics - but I do loath their politics.      Mike P

http://209.210.181.2/hserver/area=slt.local.articles/adsize=banner1/ACC_RANDOM

=974406910410

Utah's 'Oly Guns' Idea Fails to Amuse IOC
 Thursday, November 16, 2000

One of the two prototype "Olympic edition" pistols made for the 2002 Winter
Games security personnel before the IOC voided the agreement with gun maker
SIG Sauer. (Al Hartmann/The Salt Lake Tribune)
 BY CHRISTOPHER SMITH
(c) 2000, THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

    What may be the most valuable souvenirs of the 2002 Winter Olympics are
secreted away in a vault at the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Department,
probably never to be viewed by the public.
    The pair of sleek, black .40-caliber semiautomatic pistols are engraved
in 24-karat gold with the Salt Lake 2002 Winter Games logo and the five
Olympic rings. The guns are rare not only because there has never been an
official Olympics handgun, but because there never will be, according to the
International Olympic Committee.
    The prototype pistols are all that remains of a failed sponsorship deal
to outfit Utah law enforcement officers conducting 2002 Games security with
special "Olympic edition" SIG Sauer firearms.
    After Salt Lake County Sheriff Aaron Kennard and his staff spent more
than two years winning the approval of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee and
the U.S. Olympic Committee, the merchandise licensing contract was killed by
the IOC in May, only hours before it was to have been signed.
    "I felt it was a good thing for law enforcement to have everybody with
the same weapons. I had Sen. [Orrin] Hatch helping us and Mitt [Romney]
approved it, but the IOC was very queasy and put the kabosh on it," said
Kennard. "I was quite disappointed. Heaven forbid we do anything for law
enforcement to thank these men and women for putting their lives on the
line."
    Although Kennard figured the licensing deal could yield as much as
$500,000 to SLOC, IOC Director of Marketing Michael Payne rejected it. SLOC
asked IOC Vice President Dick Pound to intercede, but he "dismissed it
outright," according to an IOC spokesman.
    "Please understand that the U.S. is unique in its relationship with
firearms," said Franklin Servan-Schreiber, director of IOC communications in
Lausanne, Switzerland. "The rest of the world would not understand, nor
accept, the idea of a firearm with the Olympic rings on it."
    The Olympic movement has licensed almost any product, from champagne to
condoms, as the "official" nonesuch of the games. Yet firearms, along with
tobacco and hard liquor, remain taboo with the European-based IOC.
    "It's an excellent gun, a work of art, that would only be carried by the
trained men and women protecting these Games," said Salt Lake County
Sheriff's Range Master and Firearms Unit Director Nick Roberts, the catalyst
for the proposal. "SIG wanted to help the cops, to do something good for law
enforcement, just to be able to say in their brochures in 2001 that they were
an official licensee."
    Roberts was boarding a plane May 17 to deliver the completed agreement to
SIG Arms President Dieter Strich when he got the call that the IOC had
abruptly nixed the deal. He and Kennard reworked the contract -- including
removing the Olympic rings and just allowing a Salt Lake 2002 logo to be
engraved -- and offered to go to Switzerland at their own expense to plead
the case of law enforcement. But SLOC withdrew its support for the gun deal
and never broached the subject with the IOC again. Through a spokeswoman,
SLOC President Mitt Romney declined comment.
    The plan would have allowed SIG Arms, the North American subsidiary of
Swiss gunmaker SIG Sauer, to manufacture at its New Hampshire plant between
5,000 and 6,000 commemorative sidearms of various calibers and models as
specified by officers. Each would be engraved with Olympic logos and serial
numbers identifying the particular law enforcement agency and limited-edition
issue. The handguns were to be sold only to certified law enforcement
personnel or agencies at a discounted price.
    For every gun sold, SIG Arms would pay a $30 royalty to SLOC, with a
minimum guarantee of $150,000 for licensing rights to use the Salt Lake logo
and Olympic rings on the weapons.
    Additionally, SIG Sauer was to donate 120 model 551 and 552 automatic
tactical rifles, similar to AR-15 assault rifles, to be divvied up among SWAT
teams of Salt Lake County, Salt Lake City, West Valley City, Ogden, Provo,
Park City and the state Department of Public Safety. The company would also
pay for training the SWAT teams in use of the rifles, and training a Salt
Lake County Sheriff's employee as a factory armorer.
    "Every agency would get the training and rifles for free, and that way no
matter what happens during the Olympics, the people protecting these Games
would be working from the same sheet of music," said Roberts. "It was an
administrator's dream."
    Kennard also saw the sidearms as a way of rewarding law enforcement
officers who will be working long hours in potentially dangerous situations
without leave or vacation during the Olympics.
    "These guns would have been probably framed or put in lock boxes after
the Games, to be passed down to future generations as keepsakes," said the
sheriff. "But the IOC didn't want the Olympics being associated in any way
with weapons."
    Licensing a gunmaker may conflict with the IOC's mission of "Olympism,"
to promote peace through education and sports. However, guns are used in
events such as biathlon and skeet, with several manufacturers boasting in
advertisements and Web sites how many gold medals their weapons have won in
Olympic competitions.
    And guns came to symbolize the Salt Lake bribery scandal. IOC President
Juan Antonio Samaranch noted last year that "Utah, Salt Lake City, is a state
where guns are very popular. I have been to Salt Lake City twice and I got a
gun both times."
    Those specially engraved firearms -- a pistol, a rifle and a shotgun --
were among 10 Browning Arms Co. guns purchased by the Salt Lake bid committee
as gifts for IOC members. IOC members are barred from accepting gifts valued
at more than $150, although Samaranch said he was immune from that limit.
Today, the Browning guns given to Samaranch remain in their velvet-lined
cases, piled beneath hundreds of other gifts in a storeroom at IOC
headquarters in Switzerland.
    Kennard finds the IOC ruling baffling and frustrating.
    "It's a little silly because we already have our own guns and there will
be armed security personnel and highly trained SWAT teams at the Olympics,"
he said. "Weapons will certainly be there, they just don't want to recognize
it."
--
Well this is totally inaccurate, because Glock made a run of Glock 22s
for the 1996 Olympics with the Olympic rings on them, I nearly bought

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]