From:   "John Hurst", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Oh yeah, the police can enter to render assistance, e.g. if they
>hear gunshots and screaming coming from inside the house, they can
>legally enter,but they can't just waltz into someone's house when
>the mood takes them.

Steve,
           That is not a good example. Remember the woman who bled to death
while police were getting their act together and the two PC's who allegedly
heard the gunfire from outside Dunblane school. Both due to lack of access
to the tools for the job.

As for not waltzing in, the reason that they can't is Chapter 29 of Magna
Carta, but not many of them know where it comes from.

'No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or
possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any other
way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so,
except by the lawful judgement of his equals or by the law of the land.'

Regards,
                 John Hurst.

--
Well in the case where the woman bled to death, that wasn't
a case of "could they enter" that was a case of "they should

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]