From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>The VAT men (Customs and Excise) have always had awesome powers. Who would
>cheat the Queens revenue men? I wish the police had their powers.....
>IG
>(only kidding)

        Steve , & IG,

        Considering the implications of 'heritage' in law,
this is one American who wonders how it came to be that
the tax man managed to acquire such powers as to by-pass the
local Sheriff in the area of enforcement.
        It would have been 'nice' had your henchmen of yore
been completely dependant upon the local constabulary to
assist them.
        Local police tend to have a more domestic outlook,
because they do have to live in the area of their jurisdiction --
usually.
        Having to contend with the locals would, I think,
impart a sense of humility -- no?
        In my opinion, however irrelevant it might be, all
law enforcement should be local, and extend no further that
the county.

ET

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]