From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Source: http://www.itn.co.uk/news/20010104/britain/12knives.shtml

An investigation has found that teenagers are easily able to buy knives over
the counter, despite increasing concern over stabbings following the murder
of Damilola Taylor.

It is illegal for knives to be sold to children under 16, but two 13-year-old
actors who took part in an investigation for ITV's Tonight with Trevor
McDonald programme found shops were flouting the law.

They were filmed by an undercover camera buying Stanley knives, Swiss Army
knives and a set of kitchen knives.

The investigation shows that retailers are unwittingly arming under-16s with
the kind of weapons which killed 10-year-old Damilola last year in Peckham,
south London.

Frances Lawrence's headmaster husband Philip was stabbed to death outside his
school in Kilburn, north London five years ago.

During the programmed, she calls for a knives' amnesty and a review of
sentencing for people who carry them.

She said: "There is a distinct lack of energy in dealing with the knife
problem.

"I do feel that anyone who carries a knife is a potential murderer - we
shouldn't shut our eyes to that and pussyfoot around."

The two young actors featured in the investigation managed to buy knives from
four retailers in London without being asked for identification to prove they
were over 16.

One of the knives even carried a large sticker emphasising that buyers had to
be over 16.

Mrs Lawrence added: "I think there are many reasons why young people carry
knives and I know this because of the work I have carried out with young
people.

"I think that one thing is this feeling of powerlessness - if they don't feel
that they have a sense of power in one area of their lives, then this knife
gives them a very false sense of power.

"I think it's our job to say to them or try to make them see that carrying a
knife is a very cowardly act.

"The punishment isn't severe enough and it obviously doesn't act as a
deterrent. I would like to see a more severe punishment.

"I feel a sense of despair and it just seems to me that a little child like
Damilola, the most precious and most vulnerable of all our treasures, and the
fact that we can't protect them, is too terrible for words."

Analysis

Retailers say sorry

Investigators for ITV's Tonight with Trevor McDonald used a hidden camera to
film the 13-year-old actors shopping for knives - and walking out into the
street armed with lethal weapons again and again.

Some of the biggest names in British retailing flouted the law by selling
knives to the under-aged actor.

The final haul included Stanley, Swiss Army, and several kitchen knifes.

One of the shops that sold them was close to the North London school where
head teacher Philip Lawrence was fatally stabbed five years ago.

It was his death that prompted new laws controlling the sale of knives.

The retailers caught out include Band Q, Robert Dyas and Blacks.

Blacks said it was extremely sorry, Robert Dyas claimed to be treating the
matter very seriously, and Blacks said it was not their policy to sell knives
to persons under 16.

So they bought a Swiss Army Knife!

This must be one of the most stupid laws ever passed.  Even the anti-gun laws
aren't as plain daft as this simply because just can't go to your kitchen
drawer and get a Colt 1911.

Kenneth Pantling

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]