From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>I may be missing something here. I understand why it is illegal to SELL
>children knives, cigarettes, alcohol etc, but why is not illegal for under
>age individuals to BUY or attempt to buy these articles?
>
>My wife worked for some years in a newsagent's shop, and suffered abuse and
>threats from underage individuals when she refused them cigarettes, lighter
>fuel and other solvents.  Why is the burden of responsibility placed on the
>supplier, with as far as I am aware no such onus placed on the buyer to
>comply with the age restrictions imposed by law? Can anyone throw any light
>on this?
>
>regards
>
>Martin Kay

        Steve, & Martin,

        I think it has something to do with old English law
having to do with the age of majority, and the ability to be
able to make informed decisions, as well as having to do with
corrupting the morals of a minor.
        That an agent or and assign is deprived under law
from dispensing certain things to minors, is relevant in that
the edict:
        Minor ante tempus agere non potest in casu proprietatus
nec etiam convenire; differetur usque aetatem; sed non cadit breve.
        A minor before majority cannot act in a case of property,
nor even agree; it should be deferred until majority; but the writ
does no fail.
        Black's Law Dictionary -- Sixth edition.

        Chalk it up to the state attempting to take care of the
children, by transferring the guilt of both parties to one party only.

--
=*= Liberty: Live it . . . or lose it.  =*=

ET

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01