From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Norfolk bus in gun alert

January 26, 2001 - 04:00

A norfolk market town was at the centre a full-scale police operation last
night after reports of a gunman on a bus.

Passengers on the 4.40pm number 35 Sanders Coaches bus from Norwich were
largely unaware that they were at the centre of an unfolding drama.

But in a two-part operation, a bus was tailed by police helicopter to North
Walsham, where it was intercepted by armed police at 6pm.

Following a four-hour stake-out of a flat in Market Street by police
marksmen, a man was finally arrested at about 11pm.

Police officers had cordoned off Market Street at about 9.30pm and as a
precautionary measure they evacuated drinkers from The Feathers pub, forcing
people to leave the building still holding their glasses,

A small crowd braved the chill night to watch as armed officers moved into
position at 10.15pm and waited for the signal to go in.

At about 11pm, police accompanied by Alsatian dogs made their swoop of the
flat, out of the gaze of the crowd. Minutes later a handcuffed man could be
seen in the back of a police van as it drove past the Market Square.

Earlier, the bus passengers remained unaware of the drama around them.

While a police helicopter tailed the vehicle, an armed response unit was
rushing to North Walsham market place to meet it at about 6pm.

Armed police in bullet-proof vests and dog-handlers went to the scene and two
police cars and a van were stationed near the Market Cross.

Duty inspector at North Walsham, Steve Grimmer, told the EDP last night:

"About 5pm we were informed that there was a man on the bus carrying what was
described as a handgun.

"As a result of this information a force helicopter and armed police were
deployed to North Walsham. This is an ongoing incident that we hope to
conclude without anyone getting injured."

It is believed the man got on the bus at Coltishall, and the driver radioed
control after he grew suspicious that he had a gun, but police could not
confirm this last night.

Journalist Brian Gaudet, 47, of Nelson Road, North Walsham, got on the bus at
Castle Meadow in Norwich, but did not notice any commotion until it arrived
at North Walsham.

"I didn't notice the helicopter or anyone acting strangely on the bus. The
bus was 20 minutes late, and the driver's explanation was that there had been
some mechanical failure," said Mr Gaudet.

"He announced this quite jokily, saying there had been smoke coming out of
the dash board. Because of that the bus would be terminating in North
Walsham, instead of going on to Mundesley and Cromer.

"It was only as I was getting off in the Market Place that I saw police with
guns and the police cars, two of which had driven in front of the bus at
right angles, blocking it in. It was totally bewildering, but no-one was
panicking. It could have been that there was an accident there.

Rhea Iliffe, from Gimingham, was unable to return to her car during the
stake-out.

"I came out with my boyfriend to get a kebab, and when we left the police
told us to go up to the Market Square. We can't get back to our car in Market
Street, and my five-month-old baby is at home."

Source:
http://www.norfolk-now.co.uk/Content/News/NNewsStory.asp?Brand=EDPONLINE&;
Category=NEWS&ItemId=NOED26+Jan+2001+00%3A15%3A38%3A017

Just around the corner from me - such excitement!

Kenneth Pantling

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01