From:   "David M", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:19:34 -0500
From: "Breitkreuz, Garry - Assistant 1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Editorial: POLICING PERSPECTIVE

PUBLICATION: The Toronto Sun
DATE: 2001.01.26
SECTION: Editorial/opinion
PAGE: 14
COLUMN: Editorial
  _____

POLICING PERSPECTIVE

  _____

Any threat made against a police officer is a threat against society.

Anything we can reasonably do to make our police more secure - particularly
when they're being threatened by criminal gangs through the vulnerability of
their homes and families - we should.

Allowing them to register their cars through their stations rather than
homes (i.e., no home addresses) and properly lighting, securing and fencing
police stations, for example, should be automatic.

We also believe any officer under genuine threat should be allowed to take
his or her gun home, or, more accurately, to carry it off-duty, since cops
can already take their guns home if they store them safely. Point is, if we
trust police to use guns on the job, surely we should also trust them to use
them properly to protect themselves at home.

Conversely, if the force is worried about allowing an officer under threat
to take a gun home, why is he or she a cop in the first place?

That said, it does seem a bit contradictory for the police, who advise the
rest of us against keeping guns in our homes for personal protection and to
rely on them instead, to then argue that when it comes to protecting
themselves, they need their guns at home.

The police, after all, are not the only citizens who may be confronted by
threats, nor the only ones who are (or can be) trained to use firearms. We
aren't advocating everyone arm themselves in their homes, but we are saying
the idea of using a gun for personal protection, at least in some
circumstances, does appear to have some merit.

We should also keep in mind that being threatened goes with the territory of
being an officer. Surely, it's not entirely by accident that we're hearing
more concerns about gangs and threats just as the new police budget is being
proposed. After all, budget time is typically when police emphasize crime
and the hazards of policing.

We do sympathize with Chief Julian Fantino's fury yesterday when NOW printed
a picture of his home and its location. The story was about city officials
who live outside Toronto, and Fantino, as NOW noted, is listed in the phone
book. Still, showing his home and naming the town and street when police are
worried about threats by gangs, is irresponsible. That said, there is still
a need for some perspective.

The police can and do need society's support, but that doesn't mean
uncritically approving every budget item they request, nor letting our
support cloud our judgment in areas such as civilian oversight. Part of
keeping perspective is not mixing apples and oranges.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01