On 2021-05-29 12:01, Achim Gratz wrote:
Brian Inglis writes:
This seems to have committed/pushed one of my mingw64 package
subdirectories, which has its own repo and .git tree:
https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/nghttp2.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/playground;hb=refs/heads/playground

Don't do things like this. You'd need to use submodules, but that
doesn't really work for this particular relation between the main and
MingW64 packages and submodules come with their own pitfalls.

As I said, it was unintentional, and may possibly have been a mistake with git deciding to helpfully add the subdirectory and files to a parent .git directory, or thought I was in the parent directory (e.g. cd ... or cd - to wrong directory) and used e.g.:

        $ git add *.cygport *.patch; git commit -m '...'

I've been typing ahead blind on slow links, systems, and terminals, since using TECO over 110 dialup with noecho on a TTY for speedup! ;^>
That way you get a lot of experience by recovering from serious errors!