On 29/06/2022 09:12, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:

Thinking about it some more, I'm also mildly concerned about the small
but non-trivial proportion of users who blithely install every package
available on Cygwin, which I don't think is going to be an issue for
more-or-less any other *nix distribution.  I don't normally think it's
worth doing much to actively catering for those users -- I'm generally
of the opinion that they're making their own misery -- but in this case

Oh no, they share their misery: I sometimes receive emails virtually written in green ink moaning about how long installing everything takes.

The solution to that is probably to remove the option to install everything from setup, which has sometimes been mooted (or at least put it behind a command line option).