On 15/01/2023 12:52, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:

This has come up in discussion a few times, and is now well overdue, I think.

Python 2.7 is the last python2 version, which was sunsetted on January 1, 2020.

[...]

3) There might also still be some other packages lurking which just install a script with a shebang containing 'python', and assume that python is python2.  I don't know how we could identify those.

The remaining cases of packages which have a dependency on python and/or python2 are either this (packages which contain a python script with a python shebang line), or the other case which I hadn't previously considered - a package which contain an executable or shared library linked with libpython2.7.dll.

So, again I need inspect these to determine what should happen to them.