On 02/04/2023 16:47, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 14/03/2023 19:17, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 15/01/2023 12:52, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:

This has come up in discussion a few times, and is now well overdue, I think.

Python 2.7 is the last python2 version, which was sunsetted on January 1, 2020.

[...]

3) There might also still be some other packages lurking which just install a script with a shebang containing 'python', and assume that python is python2.  I don't know how we could identify those.

The remaining cases of packages which have a dependency on python and/or python2 are either this (packages which contain a python script with a python shebang line), or the other case which I hadn't previously considered - a package which contain an executable or shared library linked with libpython2.7.dll.

So, again I need inspect these to determine what should happen to them.

So here's the list, with *tentative* notes of the disposition for each package.

[...]

source package package maintainer notes disposition
octave-miscellaneous   octave-miscellaneous    Marco Atzeri

[†] contains some python scripts
[§] script is python2 only, not compatible with python3

Hi Marco,

Currently, octave-miscellaneous depends on python2. It would help me greatly if you could tell me if that's correct or if it should depend on python (if all the scripts in it also work with python3), or it should be updated to work with python3?

Additionally, I noted that subversion-tools depends on python (due to an explicit requires in the cygport), but... I don't see any python scripts there, so I wonder if that should just be removed in future.